15,000 Gallons of Fun - Stocking

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Honestly right now, it's more of the "when I move out and all my dreams come true and everything goes to plan" plan. I'm in college right now, only 23, however it is likely that this tank can come to fruition - I am going to become an anesthesiologist, one of the highest paying jobs in America. So as of now - it's not set in stone, 100%; but it is very likely that one day it will be.
What are you majoring in? Have you been accepted into any medical school yet?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
What about this for a more reasonable tank - still large, but much more manageable than a very highly-stocked 15,000 or 22,000 gallon tank. It's technically 2, tied into one for a total of 1,600 gallons minus a sump. Both plywood tanks, one of which is 12x4x2.5 and will be fake planted with minimal driftwood, housing:
-2 giant gouramis (1 redtail, 1 albino)
-2 jaguar cichlids
-4 severum cichlids (super reds)
-2 oscars (red tigers)
-4 orinoco peacock bass
-1 banded leporinus
-5 zebra loaches
-25 smaller plecos (5 each: leopard frog, L200, queen arabesque, king tiger, L187B)
-2 widebar datnoids
-6 red hook silver dollars
-2 royal plecos
-1 blue eyed panaque
-1 super red scarlet pleco
-Some bristlenose plecos
-5 bala sharks
-1 Potamotrygon menchacai
-1 Potamotrygon hystrix
-1 Potamotrygon schroederi

Tank 2 is 10x4x2.5, mostly for PBass:
-7 mono pbass
-3 ocellaris pbass
-3 orinoco pbass
-2 hybrid pbass
-1 temensis pbass
-1 kelberi pbass
-1 azul pbass
-2 ornate bichirs
-1 sunshine pleco
-1 royal pleco
-1 black arowana
-1 jaguar cichlid
-1 fire eel
-1 south american lungfish
-2 chainlink motoros

This allows me to keep almost all of the fish I wanted on that list, there are a few that didn't make it (notably the pima and gator gar), and the rays were added in (the main reason I didn't include them in the main tank was because they seem to grow very slow, and I wanted to add them directly to the DT after QT - plus, a tiny $1,000 ray pup won't survive too long in with a big RTC).

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Oh my god, 100,000 gallons? That's double arapaimag's setup, that's a HARD goal to achieve. How did he not think someone would catch him?

Oh, to answer your other question I'm majoring in biology. I'm a junior, haven't been accepted into any medical schools yet but I want to go to Duke.
You haven't been accepted to continue on with school but you say you're in medical school... Are you a gifted singer who could change the world but aren't singed to a producing label?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
You haven't been accepted to continue on with school but you say you're in medical school... Are you a gifted singer who could change the world but aren't singed to a producing label?
Where in the world did I say I was in medical school? I'm currently attempting to get into medical school

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I have looked into the feasibility of building a giant fish room or converting a old swimming pool into a fish tank. The idea is not really out of the question in that I would build the concrete fish tank at the same time that I built a metal garage for my train set.

Basic 5000 to 10,000 cinder block fish tank.jpg

Reactions: Oompa Loompa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store