2 Marineland 350 & 1 C360

MTS LTS CYCLE

Feeder Fish
Jun 7, 2017
75 Tank remains clear, but re-occuring algae is a pain. All my rock work is covered as well. I use a PF40-UV when I clean the glass, for spore removal. Tank is currently over stocked with Cichlids, 0 ppm NH3/4 & N2; NO3 regularly climbs to 80+ppm. I know the tank size is too small for any of the big boys (FH, Dovii, Jag, etc) I'd like to get rid of some of my breeding pairs of Convicts...most everyone sand sift and rock clean/eat algae -
The size of everyone besides the Connie's, is under 5"... Will Plecos work here?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nitrate at 80 ppm is short for algae fertilizer, and a stress producer for fish.
Those 2 filters will not control nitrate, but actually help create it unless you regularly clean out the gunk. When I had those filters I found I had to break them down and clean them once per week to keep them from spewing nitrate.
Sounds like you should also be doing daily water changes on such an overstocked, tiny tank for those fish to keep algae down, and the fish healthy, not to mention saving up for a 300 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store