240 custom sump overflow issues

jonnytat2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
N. Jersey
when you say the sump level isnt going down do you mean the last chamber where the pump are. also it looks a vented so because you don't have an overflow box when you turn off your pump your water level stays right under the drain. so when you turn your pump on your only training exactly what you're putting into the display

Last edited:

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
No, the sump level does not go up.

If i add water to tthe system it only raises the tank water level not the sump water level.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
How'd the plumbing party go? Any fireworks!?!?

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
It didnt, i decided the racecar sounded more fun today.
---
TMA: Tue Jul 04 2017 20:27:22 GMT-0700 (PDT).jpg

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
LOL!!

Playing with your toys either way... good job!

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Yup good productive day. Family, racecars, now fireworks! Have a safe and fun 4th!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just tossing out a thought...

Loud noises and low draining means no siphon.
All of the drains produce some water drainage, but the closest pulls the most, which means they are level or nearly level with each other.
Adding some water doesn't produce a siphon.
A full siphon would be far more than 1,200 gph.

I think the issue is there is no full siphon and the length of run is reducing the drainage well below the expected drainage of a 1" pipe. (It looks like it's 1" OD and perhaps .75" ID, but that's a guess.) The flow (that was quoted) for a partially filled pipe works out best with the 1" OD. Horizontal flows might be even lower in partially filled pipes due to friction and blockage.

Have you tried closing 2 of the drains and running just one drain to see if you can create a full siphon? You might need to add water to prime it, but if you do it might run closer to your expectations. You shouldn't be letting any air into the single drain, so that might require closing any vents.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Actually that makes a lot of sense, all three drains are level. The stand and tank were all leveled so the water level is even accross the the top of all three.

Maybe i should put an elbow on the center drain to elevate it creating an "emergency overflow. And close the vent s on the other 2 and try and create siphon.

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Just thought I'd throw out a quick update. It seems that I wasn't getting the gallon per hour I needed because somehow I managed not to create siphon. During my latest water change I don't know what I did different or why. Maybe I just put more water than I have ever put in before, I'm not totally sure to be honest. How to rent any case the drains have gotten considerably quieter and I can now run both pumps no problem. I can even run both pumps when plant matter has clogged one of the three drains. As it turns out I do have another issue my Sump is not large enough to hold the amount of water that will drain off if I keep the water at this level so I will have to do something about that and the near future. But everything is running great otherwise. Thank you to everyone that helped and had input I appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store