250 Gallon Ideas

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
It depends on what your idea of "difficulty" is? I would consider very aggressive fish that fight all the time and make a mess when they eat as "difficult," as well as primarily wild stock that may not take to pellet foods. Geos are pretty calm for the most part in my experience, and accept most foods. The pikes in the hobby are usually wild caught and a bit more aggressive, so that can be a bit of a challenge to get them to accept pellets.

The larger bodied cichlids like the pscittacus and vieja can also be aggresive but my main concern living with those more aggressive cichlids would be the Geos, and the altifrons and several other types of geos grow large enough to not become lunch for your big boys. And don't think that just because the geos are pretty and relatively calm that they cannot hold their own. They have strength in numbers. :)
I love the colors on the pike you suggested before and I definetly think they are up there on my list now! But when I think difficulty I always think pristine water conditions like discus. I saw that the Atabapos are very susceptible to HITH? But I would definetly be a challenge to keep all of those guys together and not risk someone having a very expensive snack!

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
You would need around 1000 gallons to house all those fish for life
Ill take the bait and call Bs.
Why would you say that?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Think because that's 39 10-14 inch fish once full grown in many many years... wb dollars 10-12 inch, cl the same and mini montoro what 12-14 inch disc?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I hear those Dovii are some killers! but the parachromis would definetly make very colorful tank. Thanks for the response!

justarn, What is the odor?
I have 3 of the 5 Parachromis species, and I love them.......and I'm always on the look-out for the other 2.

People might say it's too much for a 250g, but I say a pair of Jaguars, a pair of Red Tigers, a pair of Yellowjackets and a pair of Loiselle's. Too much? Ok, forget the Jaguars, the other 3 pairs will still max-out at 12", probably less.

U have other tanks besides the 250g?

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I have 3 of the 5 Parachromis species, and I love them.......and I'm always on the look-out for the other 2.

People might say it's too much for a 250g, but I say a pair of Jaguars, a pair of Red Tigers, a pair of Yellowjackets and a pair of Loiselle's. Too much? Ok, forget the Jaguars, the other 3 pairs will still max-out at 12", probably less.

U have other tanks besides the 250g?
I wish I could have more tanks to get all these fish! But I have a 90 community that I would like to update the decor and go all drift wood, and a 10 that was about to be redone and when I went to my lfs for ideas I saw some of the monster fish that people brought in cause they were unable to house them properly which got me looking "just for fun" at big tanks which started this whole mess!

Reactions: Frank Castle

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I wouldn't suggest going too crazy, I assume the widths 2ft, if so I would try to keep max size below 16 inch unless it's a bottom dweller that doesn't move much.
240 really isn't that big, my 300dd was bought to get all the monsters but I soon realised it's not really much bigger than a 180....
Research all the species properly and aim for 1 big centre piece and tank mates that work.
Also consider fish that are active, I've bought many fish that looked amazing but just didn't do much... Wyckii, hairy puffer, irwini and some spiny eels just hide or sit in a corner, pretty Un impressive.

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I wouldn't suggest going too crazy, I assume the widths 2ft, if so I would try to keep max size below 16 inch unless it's a bottom dweller that doesn't move much.
240 really isn't that big, my 300dd was bought to get all the monsters but I soon realised it's not really much bigger than a 180....
Research all the species properly and aim for 1 big centre piece and tank mates that work.
Also consider fish that are active, I've bought many fish that looked amazing but just didn't do much... Wyckii, hairy puffer, irwini and some spiny eels just hide or sit in a corner, pretty Un impressive.
You couldn't be more right. trying to narrow the options to that center piece will be the hardest part for me since there are so many great options

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
A pair of chancho with lots of small central pairs would look cool.
A jardini is another option, although a little contradicting to my earlier post maxing out around 2ft in a very long time...even with some bottom dwellers?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store