300 gallon filtration

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Hello fellow addicts , I have a 300 gallon aquarium in storage and I’m trying to brainstorm some seriously overpowered filtration, obviously planning a sump but I was hoping you fine people could help me out as I’ve never had one , what can you recommend for pumps, builds and, setups. This will be for a large predator grow out tank of spotted gar an Asian arowana as well as fire eels

RBpiranha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2019
UK
I think 2 FX6's would do a good job. I use one on a 125g with 4 piranhas does a good job, very happy with it.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Is the tank drilled at all? Does it have overflows? The more turnover the better. Some of the sumps they have ready made are overly complicated and expensive. You can easily make a good one out of an old tank. I suggest getting a controllable pump so you can adjust it with your drainage.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Fx6 is too hard to maintain. You can change the filter in a sump in 2 min. You also cant see what's going on in those fx6s. Much better off having a view of the whole filtration system.

Reactions: celebrist and Ulu

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
I run two fx6’s on my 180 gallon and definitely think bigger tanks require more than that for filtration, you have to remember that the GPH listed on canister filters is a number they got without any filter media let alone any debris the filter is going to suck up.It is drilled and has overflows, I was hoping someone could tell me the true benefits of running a home made fluidized filter sump vs a more contemporary one

Last edited:
Reactions: celebrist

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I run two fx6’s on my 180 gallon and definitely think bigger tanks require more than that for filtration, you have to remember that the GPH listed on canasta filters is a number they got without any filter media let alone It is drilled and has overflows, I was hoping someone could tell me the true benefits of running a home made fluidized filter sump vs a more contemporary one
I have a simple wet/dry trickle type sump on my 300 gallon. It kicks ass. The water is so clear it looks like the fish are floating in nothing sometimes. When I replaced my coralife pump I had to add more drains to the tank. The eco tech marine pump is awesome and turns over some major water. So to have the pump turned to max I had to add one of those over flow kits which worked great

Reactions: islandguy11

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
I have a simple wet/dry trickle type sump on my 300 gallon. It kicks ass. The water is so clear it looks like the fish are floating in nothing sometimes. When I replaced my coralife pump I had to add more drains to the tank. The eco tech marine pump is awesome and turns over some major water. So to have the pump turned to max I had to add one of those over flow kits which worked great
Interesting , I’ve never seen an overflow kit on a tank, what size and compartments do you have in your sump

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Interesting , I’ve never seen an overflow kit on a tank, what size and compartments do you have in your sump
The drains are all one inch and the returns are 3/4. The only thing that kinda sucks is the overflow kit I added has to be started by syphon. The sump is just a tank split in half with a piece of glass I siliconed in place. The drains go onto a piece of 1/4 inch plexi glass I drilled like 200 holes in then it trickles through that and goes through my filter material then over all my bioballs and into the bottom of the sump. The way I siliconed the glass divider leaves a 1 inch space underneath which I stick a sponge filter in front of. In that side of the sump I have my pump and whatever else I want to add such as bags of carbon or purigen.

Pandrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Awesome advice I’m excited to make my own, I’ve never had a sump before but it always seemed unnecessary to pay out the ridiculous amount they charge for premade set up

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I've never done sumps Andrew but it will be helpful to know the number of drilled holes, their location on the tank and the size of the holes so members can recommend pump size, fittings, etc. just to give you better information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store