~475 Plywood Build

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Here is a pic. As you can see it's 2 flush strainers. The PVC in the middle is my emergency drain out of my house for my drip system.

View attachment 1285360
I’m trying to figure out how you are filtering this thing. You mentioned a sump earlier somewhere. With your pvc “drain” I could never see your water level get up that high unless the sump is above that level or your drains to the sump get shut off or plugged. I just not picturing the filtration unless you have an overflow drain in your sump to accommodate the drip system.

Reactions: twentyleagues

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I’m trying to figure out how you are filtering this thing. You mentioned a sump earlier somewhere. With your pvc “drain” I could never see your water level get up that high unless the sump is above that level or your drains to the sump get shut off or plugged. I just not picturing the filtration unless you have an overflow drain in your sump to accommodate the drip system.
I totally owe you sir/ma'am! Total overlook on my part, woke up and my sump had more water. I removed the stand pipe to just the 90 so it could drain off this morning and made it smaller so that it only goes to the 1/2 way point on the strainers. I thank you very much for catching my oversight.

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
That still may not fix it at all. Ideally the overflow needs to be on the lowest reservoir. All the water wants to go downhill. If you get that overflow in the top tank too low you will be pumping your sump dry because all of the water will eventually go out your overflow. In this case eventually may be minutes or seconds. I cannot see any way to make a drip system work in an open sump unless the overflow is in the sump.

The tank depth is regulated by the drain pipe to the sump. The sump depth is regulated by how much water is in the tank. Add water, sump gets fuller, not the tank. Remove some water, sump gets shallower. Add one drop to the tank, the sump gets one drop deeper. The overflow needs to be in the sump in my mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store