720 plywood aquarium build

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
UPDATE Jan 2, 2019
Plywood cut layouts have been done and redone many times lol. Wanted to use the full 4x8' sheets as the base but carpenter mentioned that 1/2" should be trimmed off each edge of the plywood to ensure clean cut edges. So will have to live with a ~700 gallon rather than 720 gallon, nbd lol.

Also going back and forth about whether to do internal bracing or not. Decided to use the extra plywood and do a single strip of 2" inside corner bracing.
Regarding the sump, got a lot of good feedback in my other sump thread and will likely go with the above design minus the last two baffles.
Still debating how much flow to use. Have been recommended 10x turnover by many but have also had some people mention that 10x would be too fast for any beneficial bacteria to grow on submerged media. Any thoughts on this ?
Regarding over flow, still deciding between an internal acrylic coast to coast ish overflow vs plywood external overflow. Still be doing a bean animal style overflow with 2 x 2" siphons, 1x2" Durso, 1x2" emergency drain. Is this enough to handle 7000 gph of flow?

Reactions: Matteus

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
UPDATE February 8, 2020
Just started on actually putting the tank/stand together. Got the stand completed using 2x6's. The top and bottom frame/verticals are doubled up 2x6's for extra strength. Will be dressing the outside with some finished plywood and most likely using sliding glass doors for the front of the stand.
I also glued the double 3/4" thick pieces of plywood together. Going to let it sit for a week then start assembling the tank itself.
Still not sure about the sump design. Looking into different forms of mechanical filtration as this has been the biggest struggle for me with big tanks. Consider a DIY swirl filter but not sure if that can integrated into a bean animal type overflow. (Any thoughts?)

tank stand.jpg

Last edited:

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Update March 20, 2020
No better way to spend self isolation than building an aquarium. External overflow box built and installed. Applied 3 coats of black macropoxy to the interior, back and right side. Viewing panels will be painted with a lighter epoxy. I wanted a nicer design on the exterior but cant figure out what or how to do it. Any suggestions ?? 20200307_175123.jpg
20200307_175131.jpg
20200318_213728.jpg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Update March 20, 2020
No better way to spend self isolation than building an aquarium. External overflow box built and installed. Applied 3 coats of black macropoxy to the interior, back and right side. Viewing panels will be painted with a lighter epoxy. I wanted a nicer design on the exterior but cant figure out what or how to do it. Any suggestions ?? View attachment 1409689
View attachment 1409688
View attachment 1409687
Looking good! I'm kind of in the same situation but not as far along as you are. I was thinking of using various trim pieces and paint or staining the outside. I'm still planning it out in reality. You are really doing this pretty much how I have been planning overflow box and all. So it looks like you will be drilling through the epoxy for the overflow. Are you going to re-epoxy after drilling? I was debating on drilling 1st or after and if it would need more epoxy.

Droptopwop

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
London, ON
I'm looking to build somthing very similar in my basment but unfortunately london in not on lock down yet but these two ponds I've seen are remarkable I'm hopeing mine will turn out the same look forward to seeing more

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Looking good! I'm kind of in the same situation but not as far along as you are. I was thinking of using various trim pieces and paint or staining the outside. I'm still planning it out in reality. You are really doing this pretty much how I have been planning overflow box and all. So it looks like you will be drilling through the epoxy for the overflow. Are you going to re-epoxy after drilling? I was debating on drilling 1st or after and if it would need more epoxy.
I was planning to stain initially but I used bondo on the screw holes outside and I don't think bondo stains well. I do plan on re epoxying after drilling. But if you have all the plumbing planned out I would drill first then epoxy

Reactions: twentyleagues

Devaji108

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Heck yeah! I am think about doing the same.
interesting about trimming out 1/2" . is 700 gal the outside or inside calculations?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store