96 x 30 x 24 Tank and Arowana Species

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
But I'm being repetitive at the same time here so I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I don't know what I'm saying anymore. Just trying to get to the bottom of things. And I'm not sure I can.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I think that some people are saying Arowana at 24" height just can't be done because it hasn't worked sometimes in the past. Whereas the others are saying it can work but it has the chance of not working. That people are just coming at it from different angles. With different levels of charisma. While saying the same thing.

Last edited:

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
RD. RD.
Based on TS dimensions, it is about 1134 litres, after taking into account decorations, tank not filled to brim, etc. Let's assume tank volume is 1000 litres. The stocking calculator threw out a results of 333cm worth of arowana. Even if we assume a full grown adult is 2ft, aka 60cm. You can stock 5 arowana with a bit left to spare.

We can agree to disagree on how much difference in care does an arowana requires as compared with other fishes.

View attachment 1392475
Does this mean that 333cm or 131 inches of fish can be be put into the tank? So one Asian Arowana at 24" (24" total), 8 Silver Dollars at 10" (80" total) and 3-4 Geophagus at 8" (24"-32" total)? So that type of community should work given the maximum size of these fish? This actually aligns with what people are saying to me in terms of stocking.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Okay I have a few more points to make because I think I'm finally seeing the whole picture here. I am thinking that there are three groups of people chiming in on this thread. Two of these groups have kept Asian Arowana and one has not. Now this is just my way of thinking and I'm not suggesting someone is lesser than anyone, nor am I saying that these groups actually exist. I'm just trying to interpret what I have been hearing and organize it efficiently. Because there are obvious patterns and correlations in what information people are giving me, the attitude people give this information to me in and the overall demeanor of these individuals as a whole.

The first group is what I call the "Veteran Arowana Keepers". The ones that have been around the block. The ones that have tried many ways of doing things and have narrowed down what actually matters and what is just talk in the hobby. The second are the "Competent Arowana Keepers". Individuals who have kept Arowana for years but are still caught up with the differences of what works for them and what works in general. To the point where they may still be stuck in their ways and not willing to see another point of view. As if it works for them, it must be the answer. And the third is what I call the "Second Hand Arowana Non-Keepers". Individuals who have done their research and are basing their advice on the experience of others while not having kept an Arowana before.

I am getting a lot of different advice from people from all sides. But they all seem to share some similarities between one another. This is why I have grouped them as I have. Some people will laugh at this and that's fine. But it seems like the Veteran Arowana Keepers say one thing and the Competent Arowana Keepers say another. The VAK's understand where the CAK's (I just know I'm going to get a lot of crap for these acronyms) are coming from and provide reasoning behind why they feel they are incorrect. The CAK's get upset and do not wish to provide their reasoning to why they do the things they do and so it leads to turmoil between everyone. And arguments ensue. And for the people that just genuinely don't know, it makes their head spin and they don't know who to listen to.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that I have that out of the way I have to say again that I'm not starting out with Arowana. If only for the sole reason that they are expensive and if I make a mistake I will lose an expensive fish not to mention a life. I don't want to do that. I will be doing Silver Dollars probably and then when I feel comfortable I may add an Arowana to the tank. And just to be clear, this is all hypothetical and not to mention FOR THE FUTURE. I haven't made any decisions yet because I am doing my research.

With that being said, I have also been hearing that Arowana are no different than any other fish like G Galantspeedz has said. That it's not this impossible to keep fish that people make it out to be. They are hardy for one and the only thing you have to watch out for is temperament. Each Arowana will be unique and that is where the "difficulty" comes in. G Galantspeedz and J jaws7777 are not the only ones who has said this either. Maybe they are the only ones here on this thread who have said it but in other places people are saying the same things. I've been talking to a bunch of knowledgeable individuals who have years of experience with a variety of fish including Aros and they have said the exact same things he has been saying. That people are really overthinking things here. I think there is a lot of truth to this.

And towards the height issue people have been pointing out, in the wild I have been told that Asian Arowana live in very shallow waters. They go there to bask etc. Now I know the issue with height is not that it will be housing JUST an Arowana but that the tank could be housing a community. And that there would not be enough space between the fish at the different levels to make the Asian Arowana feel comfortable. Now one thing I find very interesting is some people here have
referenced to Joey (King of DIY) keeping Asian Arowana and Silver Dollars together. And how that didn't work. In that specific case he had a tank that was wider than mine but it was only 25 inches tall. So only 1 inch taller than my tank. That's my first point. That tank didn't seem crowded at all mind you but what do I know? Joey had no problem housing them together though so that's something to consider. Sure it was wider but the height was the pretty much the same. Secondly, he specifically said that Silver Dollars and Arowana "SHOULD" work together but in his case it just didn't. He equated that to the personality of HIS Arowana.

Now that to me is a big deal. He kept his Arowana and Silver Dollars in a 25 inch tall tank and no one here has brought that point up. The only reason it didn't work, was not due to space or that an Asian Arowana needs more than 24 inches to feel happy etc, it was because this specific Arowana just didn't get along with the Silver Dollars. Now maybe this could have been a non issue in a taller tank. Maybe. But
given the circumstances, I find it hard to believe that raising the height of the tank to 30 or even 40 would alter the way Joey's Arowana interacted with the Silver Dollars. But again, I'm not arguing for anything as I really don't know. I'm just bringing up others points and would love to hear counters to it. This is how we learn.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now to the people that are saying I will end up doing what I want no matter what I am told or how much advice I am given, I feel like this attitude is very counter productive, not to mention
pessimistic. When I bring up a countering argument, I am not arguing with your points to assert some sort of self confirming bias. What I am doing is bringing up what others have said in order to hear your thoughts on them and to see your counter arguments. I bring up these points to hear everyone's side of things. That is all. I am trying to learn and figure out what I should do.
LMAO dude, the ONLY person over thinking things on this thread is YOU.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
LMAO dude, the ONLY person over thinking things on this thread is YOU.
That may be true lol. As I said, I'm trying to find answers that may not exist. So I'm just spinning my tires. And digging a bigger and bigger hole every time I post. I already have such a bad reputation here that I may just delete my account or something. I mean even if I do comeback and post updates of my tank I'm still going to have that stigma attached.

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Zugs, i disagree with the picture you posted. To sum up this thread in an appropriate manner you need a much bigger picture with many more dead horses on!

I'll say one thing for you zugs, in my four years on the forum thus far I don't think anyone has had such an impact, in such a short space of time, than you.

For pure entertainment and frustration levels alike, the judges give you an overwhelming 10/10.

:clap

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Chill out for a while and let all this info sink in and digest.
It's cool your tank will arrive soon, you will be busy enough setting it up and getting it cycled for a bit of time so it gives you time to think. Not sure if you've considered filtration, heating ,lighting and decor yet?

Ultimately it's your tank and your decision. Do what you think will work, it may go well or it may go to hell. Just try not to be cruel and harm any animals unnecessarily or try anything too stupid that you know will definitely not work out.
If it makes you feel any better you should have seen what happened when someone asked if they could keep an oscar in a 55G. That was a true battle thread that went on for a week.

Just wait until you tank arrives, set it up, get it cycled then start making decisions on what fish to put in it. Personally I am interested to see how it goes so keep us updated, don't worry if not everyone likes you, it's just an Internet forum.

Fishkeeping should be fun, don't forget that. Good luck and don't get too uptight about things.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Chill out for a while and let all this info sink in and digest.
It's cool your tank will arrive soon, you will be busy enough setting it up and getting it cycled for a bit of time so it gives you time to think. Not sure if you've considered filtration, heating ,lighting and decor yet?

Ultimately it's your tank and your decision. Do what you think will work, it may go well or it may go to hell. Just try not to be cruel and harm any animals unnecessarily or try anything too stupid that you know will definitely not work out.
If it makes you feel any better you should have seen what happened when someone asked if they could keep an oscar in a 55G. That was a true battle thread that went on for a week.

Just wait until you tank arrives, set it up, get it cycled then start making decisions on what fish to put in it. Personally I am interested to see how it goes so keep us updated, don't worry if not everyone likes you, it's just an Internet forum.

Fishkeeping should be fun, don't forget that. Good luck and don't get too uptight about things.
And what's wrong with keeping an Oscar in a 55g?

Joking guys, only joking. :grinyes::grinyes:

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store