Advice on new cichlid tank setup

Beano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2022
Hi, first time posting here, after some advice on a new tank setup.

It's a brand new 600L tank, 60"L x 24"W x 30"H. Completely empty at the moment.

I'm thinking...
  • 1 or 2 Oscars
  • 1 Jack dempsey
  • 1 Green terror
  • 1 Texas or carpintis cichlid
  • 2 birchirs. Probably armoured bichirs
  • Some catfish of some sort, maybe hoplosternums
Everything would be purchased as juveniles.

How does that sound? Would it be over stocked? Or could I fit more cichlids in to spread the aggression?

Would the texas eventually kill some of the more peaceful cichlids?

Would it ever be possible to incorporate something more aggressive like a jaguar cichlid, or a trimac, in with this setup?

Any ideas on other catfish species?

Thanks

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Why not choose either SA or CA and stick to a theme. it will b easier to care for fish that require the same type of water.

I would def skip the oscars in that size tank unless you want 1 and maybe some sturdy dithers as the only fish

Beano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2022
Why not choose either SA or CA and stick to a theme. it will b easier to care for fish that require the same type of water.

I would def skip the oscars in that size tank unless you want 1 and maybe some sturdy dithers as the only fish
Is it not wise to mix south and central then? What's the differences? As for the bichirs I know they're African but seen them kept with large cichlids before, plus they're really cool and unusual

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
South America has many water types- soft, hard black, white, some with seasonal cool downs
central is typically hard water
Bichirs are adaptable but come from hard water too.

the fish use different methods for communicating aggression and territorial behavior-

bichirs have armor like scales but don’t have the mouth to defend against CA’s

Oscar’s are too big and messy for that size tabk with that stock.

I’d start with what type of water comes out of your tap and pick fish that work within those parameters

Reactions: aussieman57

Beano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2022
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll do a bit more research on SA vs CA.

I'm in a hard water area, so it's sounding like CA is preferable.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
There some very cool fish from northwestern Columbia that are SA but also hard water. Festae, atromaculatum, green terror, gephyrum

Beano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2022
The festae's are awesome, I've not seen many of them in UK fish shops though. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Mayan cichlids are a look alike to festae and are a bit smaller - not sure about aggression levels though.

Reactions: Beano

Beano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2022
Yeah I did want a large cichlid like an Oscar, Jaguar, Trimac, or Texas as the main feature for the tank - but they might be a bit too aggressive

Reactions: Deadeye and Wharf

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Hehe get an Amphilophus u will love him/her...can always get some dithers and a cat of some sort, they are smart & entertaining with great personalities...I have quite a bias with this genus but great for hard water setups. Lots of Amphs to choose from. Single Amph > than community imho.

Reactions: Deadeye and Beano
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store