African cichlid floating

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
I have a dragon blood African cichlid in a 20g for now. I had to move him from a large terror blood parrot. They used to be housed in a 40 gallon but the blood parrot got mean and chased him around. I didn't see what the problem was, the blood parrot clearly has no way of inflicting damage to him except mentally. Ever since then he has never been the same. He never goes to the bottom of the tank and only swims at the top occasionally flipping on his side. He also rarely eats anymore. He has been like this for months. Any ideas? Has anyone had similar experience?

IMAG2790.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 40 gallon is too small for any more than 1 cichlid, there is no where to escape constant harassment, except for dwarf type cichlids, Rams, shell dwellers and the like.
Even though the BP seems to not be able to do overt physical damage, the emotional. damage done by an alpha to a subordinate can be lethal leading to stress death.

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
From what you describe, some type of internal injury, probably. Maybe swim bladder. It's not just about the aggressor's mouth or teeth, a chasing fish can ram another fish or cause it to bang into something, causing damage or injury. There are cichids you can keep as a pair or group in a 40, but it would be limited mostly to smaller species, peaceful species of limited size, or species of limited size you can crowd-- reef-like mbuna, for example. But If it was just those two in a tank, 40 or even larger, it wouldn't be surprising not to work long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store