African cichlid floating

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Oh and one side of his body sticks out more than the other. the side that is out further is the side that sticks out of the water. Like an air bubble pulling him up

Rdurha1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
I have a dragon blood African cichlid in a 20g for now. I had to move him from a large terror blood parrot. They used to be housed in a 40 gallon but the blood parrot got mean and chased him around. I didn't see what the problem was, the blood parrot clearly has no way of inflicting damage to him except mentally. Ever since then he has never been the same. He never goes to the bottom of the tank and only swims at the top occasionally flipping on his side. He also rarely eats anymore. He has been like this for months. Any ideas? Has anyone had similar experience?

View attachment 1369096

Rdurha1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
I have a Crystal Ruby "red dragon" that used to do the same thing every couple months when I would do water changes. I thought he was destined to death every time, I would move him into quarantine and dose with Pazipro and aquarium salt and after about a day he would be back to his old self. He is still kicking (Flipping?) and to this day have never found the underlying cause.. Not going to say that is the correct or best treatment, But in regards to that specific fish has worked for me.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Unfortunately parrots can ram fish and cause injury if strong enough. And some parrots do have teeth. A 40 is only workable with one cichlid and maybe a small plec, cat, or cory. The parrot you see in my avatar is Patch...she can bite with the best of them.

Last edited:

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Unfortunately parrots can ram fish and cause injury if strong enough. And some parrots do have teeth. A 40 is only workable with one cichlid and maybe a small plec, cat, or cory. The parrot you see in my avatar is Patch...she can bite with the best of them.
Yeah I do notice some little jagged teeth in her mouth. Mine is about 6 inches and has an actual functioning mouth unlike the other deformed ones.

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
I have a Crystal Ruby "red dragon" that used to do the same thing every couple months when I would do water changes. I thought he was destined to death every time, I would move him into quarantine and dose with Pazipro and aquarium salt and after about a day he would be back to his old self. He is still kicking (Flipping?) and to this day have never found the underlying cause.. Not going to say that is the correct or best treatment, But in regards to that specific fish has worked for me.
Does he eat at all? I still haven’t seen mine eat in the past days. I do water changes every 2 or 3 days

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yeah I do notice some little jagged teeth in her mouth. Mine is about 6 inches and has an actual functioning mouth unlike the other deformed ones.
I tell folks don't be mislead about the 'deformed mouth' hype. My Patch doesn't move her mouth much but its large and has teeth. She cut up the face of my dominant male parrot and split both his lips down the middle. She can eat 5mm pellets with ease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store