American cichlid tank with a peacock eel?

Luciayay2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2022
Wondering if my idea would work. I have a 95 gallon tank but it has a looot of decor so practically a 90 with an 8inch Red Devil, 3inch and 1nch firemouths, and 4.5 inch convicts and wanted to add a Peacock eel. Fish get along great together, I’ve had the tank for a year.
Thoughts?

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Biggest issue is really just the cichlids outcompeting the eel, it is a much slower feeder. Most of the time it can hide to avoid aggression (though that in turn keeps it from getting food).
You will find that the red devil will only get less tolerant of others as it grows.
I’d pass on it in this tank, too much that can go wrong.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wondering if my idea would work. I have a 95 gallon tank but it has a looot of decor so practically a 90 with an 8inch Red Devil, 3inch and 1nch firemouths, and 4.5 inch convicts and wanted to add a Peacock eel. Fish get along great together, I’ve had the tank for a year.
Thoughts?
Welcome aboard

Luciayay2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2022
Welcome to the forum!
Biggest issue is really just the cichlids outcompeting the eel, it is a much slower feeder. Most of the time it can hide to avoid aggression (though that in turn keeps it from getting food).
You will find that the red devil will only get less tolerant of others as it grows.
I’d pass on it in this tank, too much that can go wrong.
Thank you! I’ll pass it up then. Tanks pretty stocked, anyways.

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thoughts?
I say no from experience. Peacock eels like to bury with just the long nose sticking out and the Cichlids will likely bite that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store