Bichir ID help please!

PoissonRouge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2016
Hi, I am new to this forum but am finding I need some help. I just recently purchased a new tank from Craiglist and the guy that sold it to me wanted to rehome his bichirs. So he told me they were an ornate, endilicheri, and delhezi.. but other than the very obvious ornate I am not so sure or their species. And unfortunately he had these fish in a 49gallon so I know for sure the ornate must go to a larger home (he is already 14"!!). But I would love to keep the other two but am having trouble getting a good Id for them to make sure they won't grow so large. The one he said was a delhezi - I want to verify because my lfs said it could also be an endilicheri as they look similar in which case he would grow too large. And as for the pale colored one? I am at a complete loss as to the specific species- Thanks in advanced!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
They were given to you correctly, the top is a Del, the middle is an Endli, and the bottom is an Ornate.

LIke you said the Ornate could reach 20" pretty easy as could the Endli.

As for your particular Endli, he looks very captive bred, which may or may not effect his growth in the long term, but he certainly could reach 20"+.

PoissonRouge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2016
Great, thanks so much! When I looked on the Internet I couldn't find any endli's with such a pale color and I know the fish store where these came from and they are not very reliable, so I was concerned of the validity of their statements. I was sad to find out that the store even sold these fish with the 49 gallon tank. They even told the guy they were wild caught which I doubted as well... I appreciate your help, I want them to end up with the right habitat that they need.

PoissonRouge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2016
If a hybrid what would you think about size? Probably no way to tell other than see if he keeps getting bigger?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I don't think I've seen a hybrid bigger than 18". It'll probably stay around 15"-16"

Reactions: PoissonRouge

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
I don't think I've seen a hybrid bigger than 18". It'll probably stay around 15"-16"
I thought it looked hybrid as well, but just figured it was probably really in bred. You dont find too many hydrids out there from random keepers on craigslist.

PoissonRouge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2016
Thanks a lot... I guess it may tough to tell or near impossible. The person I bought from claimed he paid a lot for them, and they were his passion (obviously not enough that when he moved he couldn't keep them):/ Inbred or hybrid I guess could both be possible considering the store they came from. My lfs claims to specialize in oddball fish but I haven't found them to be all that knowledgeable in the past, when I went to ask her about them she just looked it up on google- not experienced - So I think I will just keep a really close watch on him and his growth rate before assuming he will get too large. I really hate the idea of moving/selling fish more than necessary. I already feel so bad that I have to find a new home for the ornate. And the last thing I want to do is send a fish back to the store.

Thank you all - for your input!

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Thanks a lot... I guess it may tough to tell or near impossible. The person I bought from claimed he paid a lot for them, and they were his passion (obviously not enough that when he moved he couldn't keep them):/ Inbred or hybrid I guess could both be possible considering the store they came from. My lfs claims to specialize in oddball fish but I haven't found them to be all that knowledgeable in the past, when I went to ask her about them she just looked it up on google- not experienced - So I think I will just keep a really close watch on him and his growth rate before assuming he will get too large. I really hate the idea of moving/selling fish more than necessary. I already feel so bad that I have to find a new home for the ornate. And the last thing I want to do is send a fish back to the store.

Thank you all - for your input!
Not sure where your located, but If you put them up here on this site someone will probably gladly take the Ornate of your hands. Much better option in my opinion than a LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store