Blue Acara or Green terror?

• Total voters

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
Hello,
Recently I bought 3 "Blue Acaras" from my LFS for 7.50$ each, but after looking online and researching some more information about them im beginning to think I got 3 green terrors instead.
I know i cannot house 3 green terrors, especially in my smaller sized tank and origionally i planned to take the lesser 2 acaras back or see if 2 paired up and take one back, along with my jewel cichlid.

Tank: 50 gallon (US)
1x Severum (gold)
1x red lined torpedo barb
1x Blue Crayfish
1x Jewel
3x blue acara
Im aware my tank is quite over stocked, the acaras are still babies, (Pictures attatched.) but im planning to take back the jewel cichlid and if they are acaras, one or two depending on your opinions. if theyre green terrors, they will have to all go back, naturallly.

thanks for your help in advance! I've never owned any sort of acara before, but had a mixup with a GT once trying to aquire one. I dont want them to grow into 10 inch monsters! Each picture is a different "Acara" I have my suspicions at least one might be a GT20151223_105620.jpg 1450721619007.jpg 20151221_100650.jpg

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
They look like green terrors to me.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
They look like green terrors to me too.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Those are 100% green terrors. All three. Blue acara do not have the orange at the end of their tail. The second one looks like it could be a good looking male one day. Also, I don't think your tank is over stocked at all, unless your severum is adult sized (8+ inches). I would keep them. Green terrors are great fish and would do well with the fish you have now.

Reactions: SeymourAndHisCat

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Also, be sure not to confuse aggression with a dominant fish. Fish chase each other, it's what they do. It isn't true aggression until you see injuries, or a fish constantly hiding in the top of the tank, usually behind a filter inlet or heater. Every tank has a boss, and if you have green terrors usually one of them is it.

Reactions: Montelboom

SeymourAndHisCat

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2014
Canada, BC
Those are 100% green terrors. All three. Blue acara do not have the orange at the end of their tail. The second one looks like it could be a good looking male one day. Also, I don't think your tank is over stocked at all, unless your severum is adult sized (8+ inches). I would keep them. Green terrors are great fish and would do well with the fish you have now.
Well my severum is around 8.5 inches and I've grown him since a baby buy do you think 50 gallon tank with 100 gallon canister filter will be sufficient for 3 GT, 1 severum, one rosilene barb and crayfish? I'll take back the jewel to free up some space regardless. Or maybe just keep the very good looking one? I want a busy tank but one that isn't topped out nessisarily, I want them to have some breathing room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store