Blue Botia compatibility

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but if you do choose to get them and run into problems, completely redoing the aquascaping of the tank can often sort those problems out.
Noted..but after reading all the comments, I hope it's not too much wishful thinking. As the tank now houses a red tailed black shark, jewel cichlid, greshakie and tiger barbs.

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
Might be a crazy question but why ?
Why one jewel cichlid and one mbuna ?
This just happened when I separated others out after growing them out. I tried not to have two of the same, as either of them would have territorial tendencies.

Last edited:

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
A quick two-cents: our importers have historically been somewhat haphazard. As such, I've had mixed loach schools including clowns, Y.modesta & one-one S.helodes/tigers, skunks & others. In this, my experience is that the general tone of the school is set by the primary species - Y.mods & tigers tone-down & chill in a clown school, whereas a clown can become a rude little horrorshow brute in a Y.mod pack.

Last edited:

Al KW Tan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
Just to update..The blue botias seem to fit in superbly in the community. Definitely more than hold their own.
I did put in lots of hiding places.. This work wonders. Slinking in and out seems such a second nature to the modestas, it's just a joy to watch.
One of them run the RBS out of its hiding spot and made it her own. Another one even squeeze in together with the jewel at its home.
They seem to disregard the aggressive tankmates and just swim away to come back again, boisterous enough to run rings around the cichlids till they couldn't be bothered anymore.
Most of the actions happen with them clicking and clacking between themselves. I often couldn't make out if the sound came from moving rocks or directly from them. ?
In all..making it a very interesting and lively setup. Glad I got them Y. Modestas. ?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
:worthlesswithoutpic:
Especially for the loachaholics here!

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Definitely. Those are not bad at all for loaches who are mugshot unaccomodating, I know how it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store