Changing up my tanks a little - advice on stocking

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
As some of you may know already I have 15 x silver dollars and 1 x Jardini in my 180 gal. Then 7 x Geophagus Tapajos in my 40ish gal.

As of now everything is balanced, no aggression, great water quality (water change once a week as soon as nitrates reach 20ppm, sometimes every 5 days if its a heavier feeding regime), I know I have ample filtration now for my stocks.

I was thinking of moving the 7 x Geos into the 180gal with the Jardini. (I really like my geos and don't want to get rid of them.). Reason for the move is that the Geos will need a larger tank long term, and I am planning to make their old tank a Marine Aquarium. So I have one freshwater and one marine.

A few options I was considering below, please let me know what you think, potential issues or other ideas I have not thought of.

1- Jardini + 7 Geos + 9 SDs. Removing a few SDs and replacing these with Geos. Do you think the bioload will balance out? Geos don't eat as much as the SDs, but they are bigger/chunkier. What I don't like about this idea is that the tank may look too "cluttered".

2- Jardini + 7 Geos. Removing all the SDs. This option worries me a little as the Jardini may start to show aggression and can in time harass/kill the geos. With having those extra SDs mentioned above there is more fish to distract the Jardini as he cant target them if there are more distractions swimming around. That being said he hasn't shown much aggression yet, but I am waiting and preparing for the day it does. I also don't like to see a tank that is too stocked. This will clear up swimming space. Do you think the 7 x Geos are enough to disperse aggression? The geos tend to stay to the lower part of the aquarium and the Jar the top. Keeping everything clean, neat and simple.

3- Everyone just lives together in an overstocked tank. Not ideal, but I have really grown to love these guys.

Originally this tank was set up for Geos and SDs. The problem was my impulse buy of my Jardini a few months back of whom I couldn't bear to part with now. I have since stopped browsing the LFS due to these problems I give myself haha.

What is a given for any option I may choose is that I will be adding more filtration. I will be installing a 100cm x 12.5cm diameter PVC pipe in the corner above my tank. This will have a 2000Lph pump that will pump water to the top and let the water trickle down through all the media back into the tank (the base of the filter will almost be in the tank). The pipe will be packed from top to bottom with small size ceramic tubes. There will also be the additional of the all the pothos from the small tank into the large ones current pothos vines.

So the 180gal will have in total 3 x sun sun 304B, all loaded almost to the brim with ceramic tubes, the new filter mentioned above, and my wall of pothos which will get thicker with the new plants.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Are you going to set up the saltwater tank right away? I just got a new tank because my oscars and pbass need more room. I'm not sure how the oscars will work out as they grow up so I have the original `110gal to split them up if needed. So short story is maybe put the whole gang in the larger tank? Then remove fish not working out? At least in the interim?
Only flaw in my logic is the 15 SD's. Matt, that's a lot of SD's!
I am with you. Love all the fish. Would hate to get rid of any.

Reactions: mattybecks

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
After reviewing your situation, assuming you wanted to keep all of these fish just the same, i would consider rehoming the jardini. The 180 is just minimal space for that fish long term, while all the SDs and geos would be extremely happy there for life. Moreover, the jar may decide he wont be tolerating any tankmates down the road. Ive heard many stories of abrupt jardini killing sprees.

May not be the answer you wanted to hear but i really think its the best long term option.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Are you going to set up the saltwater tank right away? I just got a new tank because my oscars and pbass need more room. I'm not sure how the oscars will work out as they grow up so I have the original `110gal to split them up if needed. So short story is maybe put the whole gang in the larger tank? Then remove fish not working out? At least in the interim?
Only flaw in my logic is the 15 SD's. Matt, that's a lot of SD's!
I am with you. Love all the fish. Would hate to get rid of any.
I wont be setting it up straight away, I need to get a few things and do some DIY stuff first which would give me a chance to see how everyone got along.
15 SDs is a lot. When I was getting them the guy at the LFS gave me the extra ones in the tank and I landed up with more than planned. Which is fine when they were younger and looked great schooling, but now I can see Ill have to rehome some.
My girlfriend has suggested eating the extra ones lol. Whenever she walks in my apt she is like "hmmm they look delicious". Especially when they glint in the sun lol.

I briefly entertained the idea of getting another 6ft tank but living in Studio apt I don't think this is feasible. I would be one step closer to becoming a fish horder.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
After reviewing your situation, assuming you wanted to keep all of these fish just the same, i would consider rehoming the jardini. The 180 is just minimal space for that fish long term, while all the SDs and geos would be extremely happy there for life. Moreover, the jar may decide he wont be tolerating any tankmates down the road. Ive heard many stories of abrupt jardini killing sprees.

May not be the answer you wanted to hear but i really think its the best long term option.
Wise words Joe. You are right in that its the most logical and best option long term. The Geos and SDs would be really happy. I just feel a little "empty" inside myself when I think of getting rid of my Jar. He has grown so much, and he does have such a great personality.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
This weekend I will rehome some SDs, add in the geos, hook up my new filter and observe for a couple of days. Ill never know until I try.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
why don't add in the geos first and see how is it.... just maybe you may have to rehome/remove the geos instead of the SDs

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think this is proabably not a good move for what it's worth- Jardini are notorious for killing tankmates. The Tapajos will not be fast and flightly like the SD's. The worst part is, with Jar's you have no idea when it will happen. Could appear that all is fine for a few months, then wake up to a bunch of dead Geo's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store