Danios as food

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No reason you can't feed live food. Make sure you qt and needed treat the fish prior to feeding.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....and I doubt if a captive Dempsey fed a lifetime's worth of good quality pellets will be any less enriched than one that live fish was offered to.

Reactions: tlindsey

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
From a totally nutritional perspective yes there is no 'need', but even captive bred fish will have an in bred need to predate.. My captive bred fahaka hunts and burys herself in the sand. No one 'taught' her to do that, she has an inate desire to. Dempseys are still predators and will have the desire to hunt.
If you were in a house with 3 square meals a day but nothing to do you would go nuts If someone gave you an Xbox! Lol
It's about mental enrichment as much as nutritional.

Reactions: 504 Fish Keeper

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
But fish don't go "nuts" do they?Piscivores are not taught to hunt of course because they are already genetically hardwired to do so.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I don't have any proof or can point to any study. I like feeding live foods because I don't think pellets can replicate the nutritional value of whole body live foods. Some people like to feed live food for the bacteria, kind of like a probiotic. Which makes sense. I feed clams, mussels, crabs, worms and fish. Algae and plants for herbivores. I will feed live once or twice a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store