Driftwood preferences? also anyone near me? Utah?

NWCichlidAddict07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2016
Brigham City, UT 84302
so i want to buy more driftwood specifically somewhere that sells it buy the pound or on ebay buying single larger pieces... but my main question is what do you guys prefer to use in predominantly new world cichlid tanks i want some long branching pieces like Manzanita that i can then lean in the tank and cover with small patches of moss...
i already have several 12-14 inch peices of malaysian driftwood but i am looking at a better way to keep my ph low using natural processes over chemical and buffers... and also is it really bad to let the tannins in the wood stay in the tank ive heard it is to get the natural habitat color in the water as well as helps lower the ph? i have kept new world cichlids since i was 10 and have never been able to find the best way to get the perfect looking habitat for them.. im really big into having natural looking tanks...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Tannins are great for a tank. natural anti-bacterial properties, plus it looks better than liquid glass water.

I use a sock filled with peat moss in my sump of my piranha tank, leeches tannins for months, the piranha loves it, he is so much more active when the water is darker.

as for where to buy driftwood I can't help you, I collect all my own.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you have good connection with your LFS then ask them to bring you to a wholesale driftwood warehouse, it's dirt cheap and huge selection of any sizes. Also, you can ask them to get you some big woods but you can't see it first and paid at least 75% mark up price.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
youre in Utah man lol, you have to have some lakes or streams around you, collect some! its more satisfying I think lol

Reactions: NWCichlidAddict07

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
the problem is that removing anything from public land say ponds or lakes is frowned upon i got in trouble when i took some river rocks from my local creek without getting permission first
....that's a ridiculous rule lol. Ask your local game commission..i can't imagine they'd be upset about drift wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store