Favorite LFS "CUSTOMER" STORIES ...

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Here's one: So I walk into one of my LFS's to check out some stuff and I overhear a lady asking a worker/manager if ich is curable.:ROFL:. I laugh and walk away to do my browsing. I come back and overhear the managers advice and frankily was quite shoked. She was using Quickcure ich meds. He was giving her advice that a beginner dealing with ich would have been able to figure out herself... which would never work and end up killing her fish anyways or flatly not be able to cure ich. He told her that dosing 1 drop per gallon and doing daily or not doing water changes at all would work (willynilly with the water changes)... He also told her not to take out her carbon from her filters... Daily water changes while treating for ich doesnt allow the full three treatments max (with Quickcure) that would allow for some buildup of the meds. Treating and not doing water changes at all would build up too much of the meds and kill her fish. Not taking carbon out of her filters would nullify the meds. When I was a beginner I understood the frustration of not knowing what to do, many times ending up with dead fish from overdose or rendering the meds ineffective thus letting the ich take over. So to help her out I gave her my advice. He clearly became quite angry stating that if he got caught giving her that kind of info he would be promptly be pulled aside by his superior and reprimanded. Why? Because if her fish died she would have to spend more money on new fish? I also told her that half doses would be fine to avoid any overdose and to follow a certain schedule of water changes (I have a post on MFK that outlines the technique that WORKS). Is he mad because I was telling her to use less meds so that she would maybe have to come in and buy another bottle sooner? Maybe not because her fish would be dead by then... I don't see why his superior would reprimand him for giving a customer advice that actually works... I think he got offended because his advice was crap and he is supposed to be the expert. Luckily she wanted to hear what I had to say, but it's up to her whose advice she trusts. I hope she didn't listen to his or her fish should be dead soon or already dead. Me and my friends had a good laugh when I told them how this employee, who seemingly knows his stuff most times, gave out crap info, and got all pissy when I told his customer advice contrary to what he told her.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
i was in petsmart and i happened to overhear this conversation
customer. will this tank be good for a goldfish? hold up a mesh hermit crab tank
employee. no sir that tank will not hold water it's meant for crabs.
customer. but it's just a little fish
employee. yes but it will not hold wtaer its got tiny holes in it
customer. you mean this tank isn't gonna work for a tiny goldfish?

i had to walk away at this point to keep from laughing.

Holy crap. :ROFL:

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
Here's one: So I walk into one of my LFS's to check out some stuff and I overhear a lady asking a worker/manager if ich is curable.:ROFL:. I laugh and walk away to do my browsing. I come back and overhear the managers advice and frankily was quite shoked. She was using Quickcure ich meds. He was giving her advice that a beginner dealing with ich would have been able to figure out herself... which would never work and end up killing her fish anyways or flatly not be able to cure ich. He told her that dosing 1 drop per gallon and doing daily or not doing water changes at all would work (willynilly with the water changes)... He also told her not to take out her carbon from her filters... Daily water changes while treating for ich doesnt allow the full three treatments max (with Quickcure) that would allow for some buildup of the meds. Treating and not doing water changes at all would build up too much of the meds and kill her fish. Not taking carbon out of her filters would nullify the meds. When I was a beginner I understood the frustration of not knowing what to do, many times ending up with dead fish from overdose or rendering the meds ineffective thus letting the ich take over. So to help her out I gave her my advice. He clearly became quite angry stating that if he got caught giving her that kind of info he would be promptly be pulled aside by his superior and reprimanded. Why? Because if her fish died she would have to spend more money on new fish? I also told her that half doses would be fine to avoid any overdose and to follow a certain schedule of water changes (I have a post on MFK that outlines the technique that WORKS). Is he mad because I was telling her to use less meds so that she would maybe have to come in and buy another bottle sooner? Maybe not because her fish would be dead by then... I don't see why his superior would reprimand him for giving a customer advice that actually works... I think he got offended because his advice was crap and he is supposed to be the expert. Luckily she wanted to hear what I had to say, but it's up to her whose advice she trusts. I hope she didn't listen to his or her fish should be dead soon or already dead. Me and my friends had a good laugh when I told them how this employee, who seemingly knows his stuff most times, gave out crap info, and got all pissy when I told his customer advice contrary to what he told her.
I used quick cure ich meds fr my pbass I did the 3 day treatment and I was told to take the carbon out so I did and in 3 days it was gone and my fish r still alive

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lilpendragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
South Florida
Yay it's story time kids! Today I was at some petsmart in the middle of nowhere that was full of a bunch of uneducated people. You could just tell by looking at them. So I headed straight to the fish section and was shocked that they only have like 2-5 gallon tanks to house fish in. While I was checking out the molly tank, I noticed something odd A 6" Oranda goldfish? So I politely asked the employee why there was a goldfish that is coldwater in a tank full of freshwater fish, so at first for a split second she gave me the :hitting: face then she told me she was feeding it POND SNAILS from OTHER TANKS?!?! I don't even know that much about goldfish but I was about to slap her in the face so hard. She grabs out pond snails from other tanks with her hands, throws them into the tank and watches the goldfish eat them. I just don't know how stupid she was. She was standing right next to the trash can too. :wall: Then I noticed another thing when at the store. There was this obese mother to an about 3-5 year old kid there and the mom was holding a betta in her hand so in my head I was thinking "Oh dear, another one of those kids". So while she was talking on the phone (probably to her husband) the kid was screaming "I WANT A COLORFUL FISH!" or something along those lines. So that's the daily brat. Well, that's all the stories I have. Not too funny but I figured I'd share the thing about the goldfish today. The feeder tanks in that store were so overstocked that you could barely see water. There had to be at least a couple thousand in that 10 gallon tank.
All of the tanks at petsmart are kept at the same temperature, even the goldfish tanks. And yes, when they get problems with snails (hitchhikers that ride in with the bags of fish) they throw goldfish (usually feeders mind you) into the tropical fish tanks to eat them and get rid of them. Not sure why she picked an oranda, they usually use a feeder goldfish. The feeder tanks have a filtration system the size of a room, that's why they are able to pack so many in those tanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lilpendragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
South Florida
Working at a pet store means you'll probably end up taking home a lot of unwanted critters from previous owners.

My favorite was a day that a customer brought in a fish in a bucket. They were complaining about the fish, that everything they'd put in the tank would get killed by it. They'd tried tetras, goldfish, silver dollars etc and this fish had killed them all. I asked what they had in the bucket but explained to them that we can't take fish in. Staring up at me was a 7 inch blood parrot cichlid. I told them I'd take it if they didn't want it anymore. They replied that if I didn't take it they were gonna flush him. I said 'no need I'll take him right now'. So I took the fish and sold them some goldfish instead. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
At petsmart I was denied goldfish because I owned an oscar.

I avoid my LFS because they are crazy. Before they changed ownership they were only expensive, but now I can't get along with anybody. The only thing I'd buy there is a betta because they, hands down, beat every store I've ever seen.

Because of both stores having their quirks I toyed with the idea of starting a pet store but I don't think I could put up with the customers of this thread for very long.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I used quick cure ich meds fr my pbass I did the 3 day treatment and I was told to take the carbon out so I did and in 3 days it was gone and my fish r still alive

Wow. You got lucky. Must have been a very minor outbreak/weak strain of Ich. Last time I dealt with Ich was in my friends tank. His newly aquired botias ended up getting it pretty bad. He followed my advice at half dose and a specific schedule. It took 1.5 small bottles of Quick cure meds and a month+... But all his fish are now alive, healthy, and ich free. They even grew quite a bit last time I saw them and were feisty as ever!

Funny how an employee that I thought was very knowledgable would advise her not to take out her carbon, which is one of the most basic things to do when treating fish with meds... since one of carbons functions it to take out meds...

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
I used my bug tank which had it pretty bad and my small tank which had it ba too the small tank took a little longer

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
Me: can I help you find anything today?

Customer: (sifting through declorinators) no thank you, I'm looking for stuff to remove chlorine from tap water.

Me: what kind of tank do you have?

Customer: what? (gives me the Wtf look)

Me: is your tank freshwater or saltwater?

Customer: neither, its a tapwater tank

Me: if your not adding any salt, then its a freshwater tank

Customer: oh, ok (grabs random dechlorinator and leaves)

Lol, some people!

home of Fugly the Oscar (ACA)

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store