Filtering FW 620 Gal in Small Spaces

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Hello all!

I am about to build a 620 Gallon (freshwater) in my basement. Its the right size and the right spot for the this tank. One problem, I have no idea how to filter this thing. The stand was made for another person and I inherited it when they couldn't finish the project. The stand is made of 6x6 posts, leaving two areas for possible sumps.

The dimensions of the spaces are 22" L x 48" W x 16" H. Not a lot of space here. A head height of only 16 inches seems a bit impossible to hose a sump here.

The ONLY other option is a 46" L x 14" W x 46" H. This space could house a 100+ sump (if I built it), but with it being so tall, I am not sure what method of filtration to use.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
You can't alter the stand to raise it up? pictures of stand, tank, and space?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
First thoughts are four options:

1) two sump tethered. A couple of 110's seem like they would fit.

2) the tall sump you mentioned. This is the most costly because tall sumps need thicker material. This would be a custom build and not cheap.

3) plumb it to a different area of the room outside the stand. Put a small tank over it or storage to not lose space but still have access to it for maintenance etc....

4) go closed loop with canisters like an Ultima or other bead/sand type filter.

I prefer option 3 and did a hybrid of 3/4 recently. If you want a pic of how i hid my filtration lmk. Don't want to hijack your thread

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
You can't alter the stand to raise it up? pictures of stand, tank, and space?
No pics on me, but this is what I was thinking if I was to modify it. I'm a little iffy on having 4 stacked 6x6 - 1ft, but I'll throw a few spikes in them for good.

14972132663181454103125.jpg 14972132948101267487967.jpg measure.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
First thoughts are four options:

1) two sump tethered. A couple of 110's seem like they would fit.

2) the tall sump you mentioned. This is the most costly because tall sumps need thicker material. This would be a custom build and not cheap.

3) plumb it to a different area of the room outside the stand. Put a small tank over it or storage to not lose space but still have access to it for maintenance etc....

4) go closed loop with canisters like an Ultima or other bead/sand type filter.

I prefer option 3 and did a hybrid of 3/4 recently. If you want a pick of how o hid my filtration lmk. Don't want to hijack your thread
I really cannot do option 3, but option 1 may work. Ive alsp been looking at Bashsea's 8-30 bioreactor. Just for pure aesthetics and function it would be worth the cost. Not sure I could get away with running just one though

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I think if it were me, I'd take the second configuration you sketched out and alter it to have 3 bays... each bay would hold a 40 breeder that slides in (a variation on option 1 that JK47 JK47 suggested) . I'd then link the three together with bulkheads. In that configuration, you could use single 6x6 as vertical supports in the front (dividing the bays). If you can tweak the front of the stand to extend a little farther out, you could jump up to 3x 75 gallons as the sump, and that would be a much better volume for what you want to do.

Reactions: JK47

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
I like the idea of using 40 gal breeders or with some modifications using 3 - 75gals. Let me sketchup something, let me know what you think

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
After looking at the over all height of the tank and the room, it would be an incredibly tight squeeze, if not entirely dangerous, to make the stand thst tall.

Also, do you think if I add 2x6 studs, every foot, I could lose the center column all together?

Is it a horrible idea to build the sump into the stand?

1497232348582466817193.jpg

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Can you give us more information about this project? Is it going to be a wooden aquarium, glass, acrylic? Pictures of the space would be helpful too. Are you dead-set on re-purposing the 6x6 stand? Is the tank already on the stand? A metal stand might be a better option given the space constraints. What are the dimensions of the tank and the space?

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Can you give us more information about this project? Is it going to be a wooden aquarium, glass, acrylic? Pictures of the space would be helpful too. Are you dead-set on re-purposing the 6x6 stand? Is the tank already on the stand? A metal stand might be a better option given the space constraints. What are the dimensions of the tank and the space?
Couldn't agree more and was about to ask along similar lines. With vertical supports under the stand you can go less than 1/4" wall thickness and be fine which would save a few bucks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store