Filtering FW 620 Gal in Small Spaces

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Yeah, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing and get the powdercoating. Read the rest of the thread... I'm now officially intimidated by your filtration system. I was just going to run some filter socks and have a large K1 section and return-- couple air pumps, heater and a Vectra L1.
I have other tanks setup like you describe and they work great! Can't beat simplicity and reliability. I wanted to do something very specific with mine and push some limits. Couldn't be happier with it but it's not for everyone.

I think you'll be happy with a K1 reactor and socks. 0's are 0's any way you accomplish it. Although I think you should upgrade to the M1 if you can swing it.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Wait... why is the M1 better? Flow on the M1 is 2,000 gph and the L1 is 3100 gph... Im so new to this, what am I missing? Again thanks.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Wait... why is the M1 better? Flow on the M1 is 2,000 gph and the L1 is 3100 gph... Im so new to this, what am I missing? Again thanks.
You aren't missing anything. I had that backwards, sorry!

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
A BMW and a Kia will both get you to the grocery store... but the Kia won't win if it's a race to the store. Style the sump for what you need... for instance, I don't recall you having said what you are trying to keep in this tank? This will dictate your final design. With a metal stand you'll have lots of options, so you'll need to start thinking about this now.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Its not the most popular option, and this tank isnt his final home (eventually he will go in my buddy's pond). But the tank is for a single 20in iridescent shark. I have him in a 220 now, but I hate him being in there. I finally have a chance to make him a proper home till he is big enough for the pond. After that... who knows. I love Discus but I could see a horde of African cichlids in there. Or as the joke goes, a single Betta fish.

But for now. Its for the ID. I have a few other fish (tiny tetras and what not) in different tanks but I dont think they would live long-- no because the ID would eat them, but I think they would end up being sucked into the sump.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Props for doing a big project for a common fish that probably shouldn't be so easily available. That's your baby and it deserves a good home :)

Reactions: JK47

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
You're right, I got him when he was about an inch long. I had no idea how big he was going to get or how to take care of him. But once he started to grow there was no turning back. Its not his fault he ended up in a glass cage. So ive been upgrading his "cage" every couple of years as I can afford it. He's definitely my child. I might but some friends in there with him. I need to do some resesrch on how much K1 to get, but I'm definitely going to plan for what he will be and not what he is now.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You're right, I got him when he was about an inch long. I had no idea how big he was going to get or how to take care of him. But once he started to grow there was no turning back. Its not his fault he ended up in a glass cage. So ive been upgrading his "cage" every couple of years as I can afford it. He's definitely my child. I might but some friends in there with him. I need to do some resesrch on how much K1 to get, but I'm definitely going to plan for what he will be and not what he is now.
With the bioload you describe I think 2 cubic feet would be sufficient.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Yeah I figure with a 120 gal sump and assuming a 60/40 media to water ratio, I can put in 3.5 CUFT of K1. Im also thinking of tying in a 55 gal with a couple of bulkheads and using the other tank for aquatic plants and what not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store