Fish Room Build Thread

VRI

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
So it begins

A long dream of mine is realizing in front of my eyes as we speak.
After a couple of years planning, buying a new house and not least hard negotiations with my significant other I can finally commence the building of my new fish room.

General overview
Large tank - 750 gallon system
Small tank - 600 gallon system
Reef tank - 200 gallon system
Grow out - 100 gallon system
2 x vivariums
Man-cave-esque TV, sound system and recliners etc

System overview
DRIP system for water changes
Automated WC system for reef tank w/ storage tanks
GHL Profilux Central Control Unit
Dedicated heating pump
Automated base feeding
Ambient light control
Central air loop

NOTICE: All specs might subject to change

Large tank
Since I started to get interested in monster fish during the early 2000s I've always wanted stingrays and during the last year I've opened my eyes towards asian arowanas.
Add a splash of Peacock Bass and potentially a Tigrinus and maybe two exotic plecos and I'm down for a pretty standard but awesome monster tank.

The tank itself is 250 cm x 120 cm x 80 cm (98” x 47” x 31”), standard 8x4-ish, all glass tank with Optiwhite front panel and coast-to-coast external overflow box on a side panel with bean animal drains and a single return.

Filtration
Filtration will consist of a sump 150 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm (60” x 22” x 16”) with a roller mat filter, sponges, ceramic media (Seachem Pond Matrix). The roller filter can be adjusted from 9 microns up to 50 microns depending on with kind of rolls I´ll put in it.

In addition a K1 reactor of 125 liter/30 gallon will be added and dual drip tray filters will be utilized as well for oxygenation of the water.

My plan is to have a slow turnover rate, 3-4x, in the sump and have streamer pumps for flow.

Decor
At this point of time a background from AquaDecor are planned to be used
I plan to keep either bare bottom or heavy sand and a very high flow over the substrate to wirl up any debris and transport it to the overflow.

Misc equipment
  • Controlable Ecotech Vectra Sump Pump
  • Controlable Ecotech Vortech Streamers
  • Controlable Ecotech Radion G1 LED Lights
  • Heaters controlled by GHL
  • pH and Temp probes by GHL

Small tank
This tank is planned to be subject to change. I´ll start off with my Petrochromis Red Bulu Lyamembe colony, which I house at my office today, and might dip in to a Dovii in a couple of years depending if I feel the need to change. I was planning a 8x4 tank but space constraints made it impossible.

The tank itself is 250 cm x 90 cm x 80 cm (98” x 35” x 31”), standard 8x3-ish, all glass tank with Optiwhite front panel and coast-to-coast external overflow box on a side panel with bean animal drains and a single return.

Filtration
Filtration will consist of a sump 150 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm (60” x 22” x 16”) with a roller mat filter, sponges, ceramic media (Seachem Pond Matrix). The roller filter can be adjusted from 9 microns up to 50 microns depending on with kind of rolls I´ll put in it.

Dual drip tray filters will be utilized as well for oxygenation of the water.

My plan is to have a slow turnover rate, 4-5x, in the sump and have streamer pumps for flow.

The storage tanks for the Reef Tank will be located under this stand as well.

Decor
At this point of time a background from AquaDecor are planned to be used. I plan on a quite neutral type of background suitable for all kind of biotopes and use rocks and logs for finalizing the decor. I want to keep fine sand mixed with coarser gravel and a very high flow over the substrate to wirl up any debris and transport it to the overflow.

Misc equipment
  • Controlable Ecotech Vectra Sump Pump
  • Controlable Ecotech Vortech Streamers
  • Controlable Ecotech Radion G1 LED Lights
  • Heaters controlled by GHL
  • pH and Temp probes by GHL

VRI

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
Your "small tank" is 600 gallons! I dig it! :headbang2

Reminds me of golden days MFK threads, will be looking for updates!
Can I ask what your plans are for the vivariums?
I’m planning two small vivariums for dart frogs. I’m researching them as much as I manage at the moment. They will be setup later in the process.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Following along. The work so far looks clean even the drain.

You likely are aware and I try to keep "sound system" as far away as possible to tanks ;-).

Reactions: dr exum and VRI

VRI

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
Following along. The work so far looks clean even the drain.

You likely are aware and I try to keep "sound system" as far away as possible to tanks ;-).
Thank you!

The sound system consist of a small Sonos system with a mediocre 5.1 setup and focus on a headphone setup for critical listening. My home theater is in a another room 👌

Reactions: DN328
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store