Fish Room Build Thread

VRI

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
So it begins

A long dream of mine is realizing in front of my eyes as we speak.
After a couple of years planning, buying a new house and not least hard negotiations with my significant other I can finally commence the building of my new fish room.

General overview
Large tank - 750 gallon system
Small tank - 600 gallon system
Reef tank - 200 gallon system
Grow out - 100 gallon system
2 x vivariums
Man-cave-esque TV, sound system and recliners etc

System overview
DRIP system for water changes
Automated WC system for reef tank w/ storage tanks
GHL Profilux Central Control Unit
Dedicated heating pump
Automated base feeding
Ambient light control
Central air loop

NOTICE: All specs might subject to change

Large tank
Since I started to get interested in monster fish during the early 2000s I've always wanted stingrays and during the last year I've opened my eyes towards asian arowanas.
Add a splash of Peacock Bass and potentially a Tigrinus and maybe two exotic plecos and I'm down for a pretty standard but awesome monster tank.

The tank itself is 250 cm x 120 cm x 80 cm (98” x 47” x 31”), standard 8x4-ish, all glass tank with Optiwhite front panel and coast-to-coast external overflow box on a side panel with bean animal drains and a single return.

Filtration
Filtration will consist of a sump 150 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm (60” x 22” x 16”) with a roller mat filter, sponges, ceramic media (Seachem Pond Matrix). The roller filter can be adjusted from 9 microns up to 50 microns depending on with kind of rolls I´ll put in it.

In addition a K1 reactor of 125 liter/30 gallon will be added and dual drip tray filters will be utilized as well for oxygenation of the water.

My plan is to have a slow turnover rate, 3-4x, in the sump and have streamer pumps for flow.

Decor
At this point of time a background from AquaDecor are planned to be used
I plan to keep either bare bottom or heavy sand and a very high flow over the substrate to wirl up any debris and transport it to the overflow.

Misc equipment
  • Controlable Ecotech Vectra Sump Pump
  • Controlable Ecotech Vortech Streamers
  • Controlable Ecotech Radion G1 LED Lights
  • Heaters controlled by GHL
  • pH and Temp probes by GHL

Small tank
This tank is planned to be subject to change. I´ll start off with my Petrochromis Red Bulu Lyamembe colony, which I house at my office today, and might dip in to a Dovii in a couple of years depending if I feel the need to change. I was planning a 8x4 tank but space constraints made it impossible.

The tank itself is 250 cm x 90 cm x 80 cm (98” x 35” x 31”), standard 8x3-ish, all glass tank with Optiwhite front panel and coast-to-coast external overflow box on a side panel with bean animal drains and a single return.

Filtration
Filtration will consist of a sump 150 cm x 55 cm x 40 cm (60” x 22” x 16”) with a roller mat filter, sponges, ceramic media (Seachem Pond Matrix). The roller filter can be adjusted from 9 microns up to 50 microns depending on with kind of rolls I´ll put in it.

Dual drip tray filters will be utilized as well for oxygenation of the water.

My plan is to have a slow turnover rate, 4-5x, in the sump and have streamer pumps for flow.

The storage tanks for the Reef Tank will be located under this stand as well.

Decor
At this point of time a background from AquaDecor are planned to be used. I plan on a quite neutral type of background suitable for all kind of biotopes and use rocks and logs for finalizing the decor. I want to keep fine sand mixed with coarser gravel and a very high flow over the substrate to wirl up any debris and transport it to the overflow.

Misc equipment
  • Controlable Ecotech Vectra Sump Pump
  • Controlable Ecotech Vortech Streamers
  • Controlable Ecotech Radion G1 LED Lights
  • Heaters controlled by GHL
  • pH and Temp probes by GHL

VRI

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
Your "small tank" is 600 gallons! I dig it! :headbang2

Reminds me of golden days MFK threads, will be looking for updates!
Can I ask what your plans are for the vivariums?
I’m planning two small vivariums for dart frogs. I’m researching them as much as I manage at the moment. They will be setup later in the process.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

VRI

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
Following along. The work so far looks clean even the drain.

You likely are aware and I try to keep "sound system" as far away as possible to tanks ;-).
Thank you!

The sound system consist of a small Sonos system with a mediocre 5.1 setup and focus on a headphone setup for critical listening. My home theater is in a another room ?

Reactions: Matteus and DN328
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store