fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
HI i have 2 questions:
i'm from india a i wanted to have my LFS make a 300 gallon 68 by 30 by 30 inch aquarium with bracing and 12mm glass. my LFS says it's impossible without at least 19mm glass even though most charts and calculators say it's more than enough! and he says a 68 by 30(w) by 24(h) is the maximum with 12mm glass is this true? i also wanted it to have ultra clear low iron glass but i can't afford it with my budget so i asked him to do only the front panel with clear glass, though he told me it would break as clear glass is weaker even though i could not find any evidence of that! is this true

tanks a lot!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Most tank builders would use at least 15mm for the long panels (68"x30") and bottom panel on that size tank. Its the 30" height that makes this necessary. You could go as high as 24" with 12mm imo. 15mm may not be very common in your area therefore they are saying 19mm, which imo would be the best choice (thicker=stronger and better). 12mm is only good enough for the short sides (30"x30") of that tank. Moreover you will need bracing for the top of the tank. I recommend a full eurobrace+center crossbrace with 12mm glass.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you are buying the tank from LFS then use what they recommend so warrantys can be kept. They have the benefit of experience which may include knowledge of local glass manufacture. Not all glass is made equally. Composition, annealing process, margin of safety inspections etc. It's not that useful to ask for assistance from other countries unless the same glass is used.

If you are making the tank yourself, that's different as the degree of risk is your decision. Where the tank will be located and who might get injured needs to be considered. Adding a continous metal band at bottom would improve structural strength significantly for example.

raj 7119.

Feeder Fish
Oct 12, 2020
HI i have 2 questions:
i'm from india a i wanted to have my LFS make a 300 gallon 68 by 30 by 30 inch aquarium with bracing and 12mm glass. my LFS says it's impossible without at least 19mm glass even though most charts and calculators say it's more than enough! and he says a 68 by 30(w) by 24(h) is the maximum with 12mm glass is this true? i also wanted it to have ultra clear low iron glass but i can't afford it with my budget so i asked him to do only the front panel with clear glass, though he told me it would break as clear glass is weaker even though i could not find any evidence of that! is this true

tanks a lot!
where u stays in India.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store