Goldfish in need of help!!

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
So I just bought a used fish tank from a friend and the fish tank was completely gross, I’d say hadn’t been cleaned in a year or more, the back wall was solid algae. So anyway the tank came with a 8 inch goldfish in it, and anyway the goldfish has many problems now that it’s a new tank. I have him in a tank that’s just for him. But at first he would swim for a minute then float upside down at the top of the tank. But he has since stop doing that but still doesn’t seem to swim normally. Then he has white all over him. He eyes are very popped out, and then his mouth has lik a shield on it of white, it’s lik his skin or lik slime has make a layer over his mouth and I just don’t see how he can eat. Then he has white spots and even like a white bubble on his fins. I really don’t know what do and would very much appreciate any kind of tips that can help me get him back to full health!

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
It definitely sounds like a slime coat issue I would raise the temp of the aquarium and medicate

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
What would I use to medicate the fish? I never had a promblem lik this and what temp would be best?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Use melafix and add stresscoat

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The problems started when you moved the goldfish into the new tank without testing the water parameters of the old tank. Chances are that the fish is experiencing old tank syndrome. How long has the goldfish been in the new tank?

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
The problems started when you moved the goldfish into the new tank without testing the water parameters of the old tank. Chances are that the fish is experiencing old tank syndrome. How long has the goldfish been in the new tank?
I just put him in yesterday and he’s still alive but not quite acting normal, he’s doing a lot of floating at the top and his mouth is still full of the slime and looks lik it’s just has skin over it

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Have you tested the water? I would move the fish into a small hospital tank. Filled with 50% tank water and 50% new water. Add 1 TBL spoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. Since this is a gold fish don't add heat at this point. A good picture would also help since we're just running blind now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store