Got a Poly endlicheri and a poly delhezi instead of 2x delhezi, help?

Liaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2020
Sweden
So I bought two juvenile Poly Delhezi that would grow in my 200L/52gal tank, to then be moved to a 540L/142gal tank when they have grown a bit.
So everything was goin' fine and dandy, they were eating awesomely and they had nice temperaments. Until I noticed one of them was growing a slightly different, what you call it, "muscular structure" and I had to take a closer look. And lo and behold, it is an endlicheri. One upper jaw and one lower jaw with almost the exact same patterns. No idea how I missed that. (They only sold senugal, Endlich and Delhezi, which is why I know why it is what it is).

Anyways, I was pondering.

Could the Endlich and the Delhezi be kept together as they grow? I have a few years on me to get myself a suitable tank for when the Endlich grows much larger. But until then, I was thinking they could at least be together till the Delhezi grows to full, and then a bit for the Endlich to outgrow a bit more.

I have plenty of space, to fixing a large tank for the Endlich is no issue, the crux is that could it be together with the Delhezi for the time being? Even when it starts to grow a bit larger.

Thanks in beforehand, I love my fishes dearly so I wouldn't want to part with a single one.

Liaker.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I bought two juvenile Poly Delhezi that would grow in my 200L/52gal tank, to then be moved to a 540L/142gal tank when they have grown a bit.
So everything was goin' fine and dandy, they were eating awesomely and they had nice temperaments. Until I noticed one of them was growing a slightly different, what you call it, "muscular structure" and I had to take a closer look. And lo and behold, it is an endlicheri. One upper jaw and one lower jaw with almost the exact same patterns. No idea how I missed that. (They only sold senugal, Endlich and Delhezi, which is why I know why it is what it is).

Anyways, I was pondering.

Could the Endlich and the Delhezi be kept together as they grow? I have a few years on me to get myself a suitable tank for when the Endlich grows much larger. But until then, I was thinking they could at least be together till the Delhezi grows to full, and then a bit for the Endlich to outgrow a bit more.

I have plenty of space, to fixing a large tank for the Endlich is no issue, the crux is that could it be together with the Delhezi for the time being? Even when it starts to grow a bit larger.

Thanks in beforehand, I love my fishes dearly so I wouldn't want to part with a single one.

Liaker.
Sorry to hear that you were sold a Endlicheri instead of 2 Delhezi. Endlicheri do grow how you described it. If possible post a pic. Also the Delhezi will have to maintain growth to not be able to be swallowed by the Endlicheri. I personally have a Delhezi with my larger Polypterus but the Delhezi is too thick in girth to be eaten by my short body Endlicheri.

Reactions: kno4te

Liaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2020
Sweden
Sorry to hear that you were sold a Endlicheri instead of 2 Delhezi. Endlicheri do grow how you described it. If possible post a pic. Also the Delhezi will have to maintain growth to not be able to be swallowed by the Endlicheri. I personally have a Delhezi with my larger Polypterus but the Delhezi is too thick in girth to be eaten by my short body Endlicheri.
Hello! Sorry for the late reply. Sure you can have some pics!
You'll have to excuse the quality. They are around 7-8 inches/17-19 cm at the moment.
Fish1.jpgFish2.jpgFish3.jpgFish4.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes delhezi and endlicheri. Like tlindsey tlindsey mentioned. Should be able to keep together if the del is big enough not to get swallowed.

Liaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2020
Sweden
Yes delhezi and endlicheri. Like tlindsey tlindsey mentioned. Should be able to keep together if the del is big enough not to get swallowed.
I'll be making sure to feed the del plenty then, hah!
Thanks for the input. <3 I was being worried I had to sell off the biggie. Now I at least have a chance. Of course, I wo'nt risk anything if I see that the eld is skyrocketing ahead in growth.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
You will need to watch for aggression on the part of the endli. Polys will establish a pecking order much like cichlids. Sometimes they will show dominant behavior like clamping down on tails or side fins. If this type of behavior starts to get shown then you need to determine if it’s acceptable enough where damage is not being done or its time to separate or add additional polys to spread aggression.

Reactions: kno4te

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I went through my old pics to show some examples of what to watch for.

This was my endli handiwork, biting at a tail of a Koliba lap
kol3.jpg
The worst was it clamping down on the side fin of my weeksii
IMG_20170819_121558607.jpg

Liaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2020
Sweden
@ DMD123 DMD123 , @ kno4te kno4te , @ tlindsey tlindsey

Thank you for your thoughts, it had helped me greatly.
I wanted to let you know that I've returned the Endlicheri to the LFS, while they couldn't return any money spent, they allowed me to pick any fish(es) that amounted to the same value. So I got myself another delhezi instead.

Thanks again for your valued thoughts, <3 may the fishes wag their lil' fins for you.

Regards,
Simon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store