Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Polypterus palmas buettikoferi. I am extremely new to poly keeping. I am only guessing this because of the gold/yellow hue and the fact that it's an upper jaw specimen

Reactions: tlindsey

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Often is the case with Bichirs, the group they're classed into tend to have a similar headshape.
When it comes to identifying them, if you can work out which headshape it is most similar too, you can easily narrow it down to what group it is in. That is when to study their defining features, such as markings, cheeks etc.

There are 4 groups
• Senegalus,
• Weeksii,
• Bichir,
• Endlicheri.

If you don't know what species are in each group, click the link at the top and read the factfiles :)

Hopefully this can help you back up your answers with a reason. :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Upper jaw, I think the Senegalus group. (Though I have a hard time separating Senegalus and Weeksii group on headshape alone. - with the UJs I dont' see this as easy - maybe you can help me with this Josh's Fish Josh's Fish )

Speckles, so I am narrowing down to Palmas, Buettekoferi, and Polli. And Retropinnis, yeah I know they are the Weeksii group. :)

But I dont' think Retro because it seems too dark and contrasty with the speckles.

I don't think Moke - too speckly, not green enough, doesn't have the markings that make it look sort of like they have plates on the cheeks - though those may start a bit further back than the pic.

Because of all that, it's "moustache" line that extends back from the mouth, and the fact that it is more green/brown than yellow/brown I am going to go with Polli. :)

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Impressive answer, but I wont say if you're right or not yet haha.

The difference between The Senegalus and Weeksii groups are that the Weeksii group have broader headshapes, it's a little more nuanced in Ornate and Teugelsi, but still noticeable :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Id be careful using coloration as a defining characteristic as the same fish will look very different with changes in substrate/lighting and moods

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store