HELP! EXTREMELY STRESSED AND TERRIFIED CICHLID! PLEASE HELP!!!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Hi, I am new to this forum, and I have a problem. I have a 5 inch texas cichlid in a 30 gallon tank, and i have had him for nearly a year now. I moved him just a few days ago, he used to be in a 50 gallon fishtanks with two turtles and a pleco. In that tank, he would eat and swim around, but when I came into the room he would always dart back into hiding like his life depended on it. I did't want him to live his life always hiding, so we bought him his own tank (the 30 gallon he is in it right now). He has been in it for 3 days, but he doesn't eat anything except for feeder fish, and even then he only eats them at night when no one is around. All day he just lays on the bottom of the tank behind a fake plant, and stays completely still. He has moved around the tank a few times, but immediately swam away and hid when I walked into the room. Also, his poop is white, and I heard somewhere that that meant he was stressed! What can I do to help him, and WHAT CAN I DO TO GET HIM TO MOVE?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has no tank mates, a nice filtration system, pH: 7.6. HELP! PLEASE! I AM LOSING PATIENCE!!!

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I'll try to give him a tank mate... Maybe another texas or what would be good that he wouldn't eat or get eaten by?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A lot of cichlid keepers use what we call dithers to bring out shy juvenile cichlids.
Dithers are basically tetras, barbs, live beaers like swordtails.
In the wild the young cichlid uses then as a alarm system of sorts. If they are swimming around normal its safe to come out. When they dart for cover the cichlid knows there is trouble about and knows to hide as well.

There are many ways to do this in tanks. Some will go what they live with in the wild. Some go with what they want based on looks and such.

In my Oscar tank I have Roseline sharks.
20171203_172223.jpg

In my JD tank I have Bloodfin tetras.
20171114_144058.jpg
And Black Skirt Tetras in my Jewels tank.
20171203_172254.jpg
It's an arms race of sorts, to pick a fish that is either fast enough, or has an odd shaped body (like the tall bodied tetras)
I am not sure what Texas live with in the wild, possibly swordtails.

Reactions: eddiegunks

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Thanks! I’m kind of worried about small fish though... when I put feeder fish in the tank, 7 were eaten in one night. Is there any fish that a cichlid won’t attack?

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Would gala sharks work, or would they grow too big?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Try the taller bodied ones like Black skirts, or Bunoes Aries tetras, or fast fish like the Roseline sharks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store