Help with setting up a tank.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
So i got 6 tanks right now and I need to move out my parents house.....
Bassicly i need to rehome a lot of fish. But if its possible i would like to keep most. :) I have had most animals for more then 6 years or even longer.

So what i have right now:
-polypterus ornitapinus. (1x)
-polypterus senegalus (2x)
-polypterus delhezi (2x)
-amerius black bullhead (1x)
-climbing perch (1x)
-silver dollars (4x)

Then i also got :
- pao palembangensis /Dragon puffer (1x)
-channa bleheri (1x)

- musk turtles (2x)
-ancistrus (1x)
- l number (really small one forgot the name 1x)

The thing is that if im allowed to have an aquarium. Im thinking about taking my turtle tank which is 80cmx80cmx30cm. I know it isnt a lot of water but it is a lot of surface.

So would it be possible to house :
-polypterus ornitapinus. (1x)
-polypterus delhezi (2x)
-amerius black bullhead (1x)
-climbing perch (1x)
musk turtles (2x)

in a 80cm x 80cm x30cm tank?
i think i already know the answer sadly...... But what would u do in my place? what would u keep in a 80x80x30 and what would u rehome?

My opinion is that silver dollars are quite easy to house, but something like turtles always end up in poor conditions and bad housing. So i would prefer to keep the turtles with the fish, even knowing how much waste they produce.

I got an fluval fx6 that im planning on running on it.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Just my opinion since no one else is chiming in for u. I wouldn't even try the turtles w the fish, and that would be a massive bio load in a tank that size. I would suggest choosing, fish or turtles. Good luck!

Reactions: Matteus and neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
okay let me give you some more info. im planning on putting a 80x50x30 sump under it connected to a fluval fx6 that pumps it into the tank again. That should help with bioload.
Musk turtle are really small turtles ? and they are said to be good with fish. Mine dont even kill the guppies.
Anyone with real experience with the combination of bigger fish with musk turtles?

Im rehoming the ornate. I think its way to small for him. So now im planning this if its possible:
-polypterus delhezi (2x)
-climbing perch (1x)
musk turtles (2x

probably 1 amerius black bullhead since this fella is already 12 years old. And they only get around 8 years old.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Just my opinion since no one else is chiming in for u. I wouldn't even try the turtles w the fish, and that would be a massive bio load in a tank that size. I would suggest choosing, fish or turtles. Good luck!
yeah i do agree with you. The thing is i would like to keep my bichirs since i really really really love them.
I also have kept these turtles for around 10 years now and the thing with turtles is that its almost impossible to find a decent home for them...
Sadly enough i live in a country where it gets way to cold to house them outside in a pond. In that case i would rather put them with the bichir and do a big sump.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
dont mind all the weird direction the (green) water hose goes. its just an example of what i had in my head.

I had one question. My fluval shuts down every 24 hours. Is that a problem with a sump? will it overflow then or will it stay the same waterheights because of physics?

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 17.17.39.png

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Yes that might be a problem. I have used fx5s and fx6s on small tanks for years. U would not want to use it as the return pump from the sump. U want it running from the tank back to the tank with a separate return pump for the sump. Unless u put the overflow to the sump at the top of the tank instead of the bottom. I would never run a bottom overflow on an open filtration system. Because if your pump ever fails it will overflow the sump. Also, over 15yrs ago turtles are what got me into aquatics in the first place. Loved my sliders. When I did decide to get rid of them I had to give away a 90gal pond, lights, and everything to house them along w them just so they would still have a proper home. So I understand that also. Lol

Reactions: Matteus and neko1

Fguinan

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2019
I know nothing about turtles... so can't comment there!

I think you would be safer using the sump with an internal return pump and then run the cannister separately.
For one a cannister works best under the tank because it works like a syphon.
Second: you need either a weir or stand pipe so the the entire display tank doesn't drain and overflow the sump in a power cut!

Reactions: Matteus

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
d
I know nothing about turtles... so can't comment there!

I think you would be safer using the sump with an internal return pump and then run the cannister separately.
For one a cannister works best under the tank because it works like a syphon.
Second: you need either a weir or stand pipe so the the entire display tank doesn't drain and overflow the sump in a power cut!
do you mean like a water hose to get rid of access water if necessary?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Yes that might be a problem. I have used fx5s and fx6s on small tanks for years. U would not want to use it as the return pump from the sump. U want it running from the tank back to the tank with a separate return pump for the sump. Unless u put the overflow to the sump at the top of the tank instead of the bottom. I would never run a bottom overflow on an open filtration system. Because if your pump ever fails it will overflow the sump. Also, over 15yrs ago turtles are what got me into aquatics in the first place. Loved my sliders. When I did decide to get rid of them I had to give away a 90gal pond, lights, and everything to house them along w them just so they would still have a proper home. So I understand that also. Lol
So running it separately is the easier and safer option? Then im just gone do that. thank you

Reactions: Gpdriftwood
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store