how much ceramic media

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
how many grams of flual biomax do i need for a 230 gallon tank with a oscar , pleco ,RES turtle, 5 convicts, 2 accaras, 5 geophagus, and 3 severums. i have a 120 gallon tank as a sump filter. thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
how many grams of flual biomax do i need for a 230 gallon tank with a oscar , pleco ,RES turtle, 5 convicts, 2 accaras, 5 geophagus, and 3 severums. i have a 120 gallon tank as a sump filter. thanks!
Honestly know one can calculate how much Fluval Biomax you will need. What I suggest is adding more as the fish and RES grows very important to test parameters regularly.

Reactions: deeda and kno4te

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the above
If you test the tank for ammonia and it is 0 or close you have enough.
If you test the tank water for ammonia and it reads any more that say 0.20, then you may need more biomedia.
Its not about a certain volume of media, its about the proper amount of media that coincides with the ammonia (and other deleterious substances) put out by your particular bio load, and as Tom said, as fish grow you usually need to increase the amount, it is not a static.
It also has to do with your water change schedule, if you constantly do regular water changes that dilute the metabolism by-products that produce toxic substances (which include ammonia) (or chronically toxic substances like nitrate) you may not need as much, than if you were only do a partial water change once every 2 weeks or worse yet, only once per month.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Basically, after the coarse and fine sponges can you fit more media in the filter? Then you don't have enough. Add more, you can't have too much.

Also, is it a good idea to have a turtle in there with the fish?

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
Basically, after the coarse and fine sponges can you fit more media in the filter? Then you don't have enough. Add more, you can't have too much.

Also, is it a good idea to have a turtle in there with the fish?
not usually, but mine has been working out with a oscar in a smaller 120 gallon tank fore more than a year

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store