How much do Gila Monsters go for?

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
oh and i can sleep my way through to the top of a company....intelligence and responsibility hardly comes in to it nowadays ufortunately.

clubtastic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2008
California
snakeguy101;4306901; said:
I realize that you are joking and every thing but it is VERY illegal to do catch them and I have heard stories (not sure if they are true or not) of rangers planting them on popular road cruising sites and then arresting offenders that take them. You may want to check your laws before you go posting online that you have broken them...
Posting online that you did something like that wont get you in any trouble lol, No officials would waste there time and money to investigate it lol.
Unless your supplying pictures a map and a video of you catching it also your drivers licenses in the video to.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
clubtastic;4320665; said:
Posting online that you did something like that wont get you in any trouble lol, No officials would waste there time and money to investigate it lol.
Unless your supplying pictures a map and a video of you catching it also your drivers licenses in the video to.
and what if he applies for a job as a ranger and they do a background check and this post pops up? I know it is unlikely but it is generally never a good idea to post that you are committing illegal activities on a public forum....

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
I agree with snakeguy101 and LP. I work in a reptile/fish store and we have lots of people come in and put a deposit on a reptile, and over the few weeks they come in and put together the reptiles housing as they get the money and once its all ready, they come pick up the reptile. Lower income doesn't mean your irresponsible but I do think that the permit to own some of these reptiles should be harder to get and retailers should make more of an effort to verify them so people do have to think about whether they can care for it rather then an impulse buy. Unfortunately HOTS are now banned where I live because of irresponsible people who bought them on impulse, not the ones who had to save up for their reptile.

kittyhazelton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Upper Valley VT/NH
if you want a $1500 lizard... save your money up to get one, why is it such a big deal? if you want a rare/expensive/hard to find reptile... save your money up for one. Hell, if you just put $300 a month aside for it you could have it in just a few months. They wouldn't BE so special/rare/interesting if any joe schmoe could just go down to the local "pets R us" and pick one up for $300. The price helps to KEEP them scarce and hard to get, that's part of the appeal.
My "free" burmese python costs me $150 in vet fees for a basic checkup. Why? Because the nearest vet that will even look at him is across state lines in a state that they are restricted in. If I had an emergency I'd have to drive 2 hours and pay the astronomical emergency exotic vet fee.
Yes, saving money on the pet means you have more left over for housing/vets/food/etc... but if you're really dedicated to getting that animal you CAN save up the money, no you can't get it tomorrow, or on a whim and impulse buy... but if you were truly dedicated to wanting that animal you wouldn't care, you'd save your money up and get it. All that time saving money also means you have plenty of time to spend perfecting the enclosure, researching, and thinking about whether or not your REALLY ready for that animal.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
It doesnt matter if its widgets or gila monsters, the supply/demand relationship ultimately dictates the price. Its really that simple.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
Wow, such a heated thread for such a simple question lol
Well I'd like to say a few things at well but not in any attempt to create more argument.
Money does play an important part in husbandry BUT lack of money has nothing to do with lack of knowledge. However a person could have all the knowledge in the world and still not be able to afford the initial price or upkeep of an animal they want. If they decide to still get that animal it makes them irresponsible.
Also, not having the money to afford due to a low paying job or high cost family (children are expensive) does not mean that person is irresponsible for having that job. Maybe their dream job doesn't pay much but it's enough to survive. Better to do a job you love for little money than suffer through one you hate for millions.
In any case not being able to afford something is not directly linked to bad husbandry, and in most cases if there is any sort of extra money on a check AT ALL (not living paycheck to paycheck) then a savings plan can be put into action and the person can work out a payment over time deal with the breeder.
I am of the mind set that if you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it happen.
Of course there are plenty of people with way to much money who can easily afford things like this and definitely SHOULD NOT! Can you imagine if paris hilton randomly decided she wanted a few venomous reptiles? That is a prime example of some one with all the money to care for it having none of the brains to do so....
A note about vets..... As it was already mentioned there are VERY very few vets willing to take on venomous. Even most exotic vets focus on birds or mammals. The lack of herp vets in the country is not a hidden fact and any responsible keeper should know how to identify and treat the most common basic ailments relative to their animals. Unfortunately, the problem arises when you need medications only a vet can get.. for this reason it is good to net work and get to know people with connections.
This is part of the reason I am working towards becoming an exotic vet myself...

To early... brain went dead... I am sure I had more to say here but my mind is suddenly blank lol

Anyways
no money does not equal irresponsible or bad husbandry
and herp vets are almost non existent

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i agree^

The lack of vets is one thing i fear if i ever need one. Im pretty sure there are 0 vets around here willing to take on a caiman. lol.

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
im sooo lucky, i have an rep vet behind where i live. if something happens and it will cost more tha u have then he will let u pay it off in installments.

anyway, my point went missed again...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store