Interesting behavior

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Just wanted to share some cool behavior my curu has been doing the last couple days, and wonder if anyone else ever noticed something similar. So my ornate bichir hides a lot, if you look at my old thread the two were practically inseparable and were always together, now whenever my bichir is out the wolf doesn't follow him like before, but no matter what, even if he's on the opposite side, when I go near the ornate, just the ornate, he swims to me as fast as he can puffing his gills out and puts on a little threat display. It's very interesting. Here he is swimming from across the tank to do so. Third pic is where he was originally, I was gonna take some of the ornate since she's never out but, thought I'd get him coming to the "rescue" lol
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Possessive wolf lol!

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
And as you can see, when I was in his face at first he didn't care lol it's only when I go near the ornate, any other fish, he doesn't care about. He just recently started doing this since maybe last week, wonder if it's cause I use the iPad. Next time I'll go to the ornate without it and see if he bothers with just me. I never heard of fish defending another that wasn't their fry or spawning partner. This being a whole different species, is interesting to me lol wonder if he'll stop as time goes on. The wolf was in about a month after the ornate was. The ornate I had for almost a year now and the wolf will be a year with me in the middle of March. So for him to just start showing this behavior is also weird. There's been very few times where he flared his gills at me. He's really laid back, swims around the bottom minding his business. Doesn't bother with me, but it's switched as of lately lol I don't mind it though it's cool

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to share some cool behavior my curu has been doing the last couple days, and wonder if anyone else ever noticed something similar. So my ornate bichir hides a lot, if you look at my old thread the two were practically inseparable and were always together, now whenever my bichir is out the wolf doesn't follow him like before, but no matter what, even if he's on the opposite side, when I go near the ornate, just the ornate, he swims to me as fast as he can puffing his gills out and puts on a little threat display. It's very interesting. Here he is swimming from across the tank to do so. Third pic is where he was originally, I was gonna take some of the ornate since she's never out but, thought I'd get him coming to the "rescue" lol
View attachment 1164068
View attachment 1164069
View attachment 1164070
View attachment 1164072
View attachment 1164073
Lots of little wolfnates a possibilty protecting the girl i guess lol

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Lots of little wolfnates a possibilty protecting the girl i guess lol
It also makes me wonder what makes him pick the ornate, most if not all of the bichirs are females with the exception of the weeksii which I have trouble sexing and the retro I haven't tried yet. He's been with the ornate and Senegal from day one. Though the Senegal was smaller when the wolf was introduced by maybe 3 inches and a lot in girth compared to the ornate. Other than that as of now they're all the same size about besides the weeksii who's significantly thicker and longer. Here's some pics of them for size reference.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Has ur retro gotten bigger? Mine is slow to put on size.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Nope, he's slow like my ornate and lap. Though I think they may have grown a little more. But the three grow extremely slow for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store