juvenile alligator gar

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Hello, I have a 4 inch alligator gar that I have had for 5 days now, I am aware of their size and requirements and what it entails to keep this monster. My question is their eating habits, coloration, and characteristics. I keep about 5 small guppy in the tank normally and

I really don't see him eat a whole lot, and the only time he is active is when the lights are very dim, or off my lighting is a led strip it is petty bright is that a problem?

When the lights are on he doesn't move a lot and has light silver and black coloration, right when I turn the lights on after it has been dark, he doesn't have any black markings, or at least it's not that black defiantly a change, normal?

He seems to slide his nose across the glass instead of just strolling through the aquarium, I keep a good amount of fish and usually when that happens it means something does anyone know what?

He's not skin and bones but it just reassures me when I know he eats and with everyone saying how much they eat this one isn't adding up to all the hype, I just want to make sure that i am doing everything right for this fish , I appreciate all the responses and taking the time to read this post everyone , here's a picture of him when I saw him eat once

20151130_064917.jpg

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Yo if your keeping guppies in with him your doing fine hell pick them off, alternatively mine also takes floating pellets or cut up shrimp from the store. I got my first gar at about the same size, he quickly outgrew his 20gal tank in about a month. Size wise he went from about 4/5in to 10-12in the first 6 weeks I had him. You will need to move him into a bigger tank asap otherwise when they strike for food or get skiddish they'll quickly ship around and dammage their bill. If you look at the tip of his nose you can see a bit purple thats been healing well since the photo. Reportedly they will grow 2ft in the first year and then get fat and continue to grow slower afterward. And as far as him rubbing his bill on the glass, mine does that all the time you just need to put a dopey voice in your head that says "helllllooo" and it'll make sense. Idk about lighting, I keep his 48in light on about 14hrs a day and doesn't really bother him. To me this fish is a dog in a tank.

IMG_20151126_210651911.jpg

Reactions: jjohnwm

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
And he's just a baby wait until he gets to about 10in+ and then he'll be your little eatting machine. Try keeping 10 guppies with him just so hes got more options and then try tossing a rosie or two in, bet he'd probably **** em up at the very least for ya. My buddy came over with some baby rats for the first time the other day and the gar snatched up 4 of them like ya what up. Overfeeding will result in rapid growth

IMG_20151127_205840867.jpg

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
That's my buddies alligator gar in a 75gal, he had to temp keep it in their for a week while he resealed his 220. The 13in one is mine in a 120 standard

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
oh haha i was gonna say i think its a little small because you can see the back left corner

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
oh haha i was gonna say i think its a little small because you can see the back left corner
Yo if your keeping guppies in with him your doing fine hell pick them off, alternatively mine also takes floating pellets or cut up shrimp from the store. I got my first gar at about the same size, he quickly outgrew his 20gal tank in about a month. Size wise he went from about 4/5in to 10-12in the first 6 weeks I had him. You will need to move him into a bigger tank asap otherwise when they strike for food or get skiddish they'll quickly ship around and dammage their bill. If you look at the tip of his nose you can see a bit purple thats been healing well since the photo. Reportedly they will grow 2ft in the first year and then get fat and continue to grow slower afterward. And as far as him rubbing his bill on the glass, mine does that all the time you just need to put a dopey voice in your head that says "helllllooo" and it'll make sense. Idk about lighting, I keep his 48in light on about 14hrs a day and doesn't really bother him. To me this fish is a dog in a tank.

View attachment 1152794
Thanks man, and thanks everyone for the responses , I appreciate em all, I recently moved him to my 55 gallon, and he is seeming to swim around a good bit more and he is a little more active, I have like 7 guppies in theregards right now so I guess he will snatch them up, it's perfect he stays on top the red tail stays on bottom and everyone is getting along....for now haha the 55 is a well established tank so I have a lot more confidence he's going to thrive in that one , especially when he settles in

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Awesome fish, I'd love to keep one, but biggest tank I have is barely 3' x8'. Any who if yours is eating here and there I wouldn't worry. From how tiny it is looks like it may take a day or two to digest a fish that size.

Jamesrazel

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Your 55 will work for a while but after he gets 12in hell start having problems turning around and start banging his nose, I suggest getting a 75gal for 18in deep, or a 120 standard 4x2x2 so he's got plenty of room not to hurt himself

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Awesome fish, I'd love to keep one, but biggest tank I have is barely 3' x8'. Any who if yours is eating here and there I wouldn't worry. From how tiny it is looks like it may take a day or two to digest a fish that size.
Cook thank you for the reasurance, yeah my local mom and pop fish store had em so I decided to snatch email up while I can it was only 26 bucks !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store