L046 pleco setup

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Sucks for the loss. U should age your water for a few days before doing waterchange to be extra safe. I have a 55 gallon trash bin with a pump I use to age the tap water for several days before using it to do waterchange.
I just don’t have the space for aging that much water :-(

I did continue with my last 90% water change on this Saturday past and used my old method of pond prime and it was fine.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
By way of followup- about 3 -4 weeks ago I discovered zebra fry in both my tanks. The old group had some youmger members added a couple of years back, But i really hope one of the two spawning is one of my older fish. The group of 25 also spawned in the same time frame. i have o clue who is spawning in that tank, But I did a minor rescape which involved adding a bunch more caves.

Als, in the last pics I posted they were L173s not my 236s. I have 3 groups of these one of which are super whites. I should be seeing spawns from the SW in the next few months. The superwhites and one of the two other groups are from the Budrovcan line. The third group of TR fish came in as super whites but were not. They appeared to be a mix of 236 from steps along the way to producing a super white line. Apparently, the breeder was dying from cancer and was not converned with what went out :-(

Both groups of my 173s, one wild caught and the other tank raised, are actively spawning as well. Covid really put a damper on my sales since i do not ship much any more. I am getting my first Covid vaccine today. Not sure if it will be Pfizer or Moderna. But it means I should be in shape to allow pick-ups or deliveries again. i am overrun with 236 and 173 offspring and will be offering some great deals come April. I need to move out fish. This should include some proven breeders and an assortment of offspring ranging from 1.5 inches up to almost ready too breed sized fish. i may even ship for orders larg enough. I can borrow a FedEx or a UPS account from friends and if an interested buyer has an account I am willing to use that to send fish as well.

When the time comes, I will post in the the for sale section here and planetcatfish and maybe another site or two.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Finally got my stand today!
Started setting up the 20L tonight. It’s going to be a work in progress. Tonight I rinsed the sand, placed the rocks and caves, and setup the light.
7E058F8A-7BB9-49A1-8339-49146C449CCC.jpegD88CE5EE-D73E-4DE1-BA59-BF02FA40F416.jpegA055D16E-6D7E-46F5-8051-1D1215B2B16E.jpegC1662033-DDE6-4FDB-8DB4-1359D6D0F066.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That is a beautiful stand.
Thank you! It was worth the wait! The guy I hired to build it for me broke his ribs and had a baby so I had to wait a little longer for it.

it has a sliding panel for feeding the bottom tank and doing maintenance too!!

he will also be building me a matching stand that will house a 33L on top and two tens on bottom with a cupboard in the middle.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you! It was worth the wait! The guy I hired to build it for me broke his ribs and had a baby so I had to wait a little longer for it.

it has a sliding panel for feeding the bottom tank and doing maintenance too!!

he will also be building me a matching stand that will house a 33L on top and two tens on bottom with a cupboard in the middle.
Wow sorry to hear about the builder he does great work.

• Love
Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So if you’ve been following I’m in the process of setting up my L46 tank.

I’ve added a power head to the tank to simulate a river as that is where they are found. Now maybe I have too much power? Opinions welcome!

the sand is being pushed all around the tank and into the caves. Maybe I need to change up the power head a bit?

Currently it is on the left side of the tank angled to the back wall and slightly up towards the surface. There is two attachments for water movement. One is an impeller and one is a propeller (like on a boat motor) I’m using the propeller inside the power head, should I switch to the impeller?

Video attached. don’t worry about the cloudiness as there’s no filter on the tank yet.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Looks to be a bit to strong with sands blowing everywhere. U can point the powerhead upward so only the surface is agitated. Or get a smaller powerhea. Or do bare bottom? I just setup my 150g zebra tank. Bare bottom is so much cleaner

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Looks to be a bit to strong with sands blowing everywhere. U can point the powerhead upward so only the surface is agitated. Or get a smaller powerhea. Or do bare bottom? I just setup my 150g zebra tank. Bare bottom is so much cleaner
I’m def not doing bare bottom, I’ve done that I’m the past and found BB to be boring. Nothing against it for those who choose it, just not my thing.

Mas for the power head do you think if I change out e propeller for the impeller that would work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store