Looking For New Tank With New Stock

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
I'm purchasing a 125 gal, or a 75 gal depending on what fish I may get.
Relocating a 7 inch JD, 5 inch BRP, and a young 4 inch flower horn into the tank

Should I put some silver dollars in as dither?
I could purchase these two Severum that are about 5 inches. I have a Severum but its in a 25 growout and is only about an inch

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
do you mean BRP as in 'Blood Red parrot'?

If so, (hopefully not piranha!); your flowerhorn is likely to beat it into submission, even in that size of tank...just my opinion.

Among the stock listed, all would work; the only wild card is the flowerhorn, which can get exceptionally aggressive.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
Oh my! Not a Pirahna no! It's a silly Parrot Fish. And that Flowerhorn is half the size of the Dempsey but quickly catching up, I accidentally purchased the guy instead of the Red Texas. Pays to pay attention to which fish they're netting...for now he seems passive enough and haven't had a good reason to get rid of him.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
In regards to the Flowerhorn the Parrot chases him. I hope the tables don't turn in the future however..

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I would count on the tables turning with the Flowerhorn. Be prepared with another tank, a divider, something. Even at that size they can be nasty.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
I bought a 75 gallon with two 5 inch Severums off Craigslist. Picking them up Sunday.

I'm going to have to divide these fish into these two tanks a 55 gal and a 75 gal. Please let me know where you think which fish should go in which tank.

7 inch male Dempsey
5 inch male Severums
5 inch male Severum
4-5? Inch unsexed parrot fish
4 inch unsexed flowerhorn

Also I have some Silver Dollars in a quarantine tank. If room allows for these guys I'd like to throw some in, selling what doesn't fit. Thanks for the help guys, I'm a little newer to Larger Cichlids. Used to my cute Festivum pair

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I would go with the 125 gallons due to my experience that it will give you more opportunity in the future to do other things. With tanks and filtration equipment I just feel bigger is always better.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
I would go with the 125 gallons due to my experience that it will give you more opportunity in the future to do other things. With tanks and filtration equipment I just feel bigger is always better.
I agree with that statement. However I bought what was cheap and available on Craigslist and this 75 gallon tank was hard to pass up.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Definitely understand that. My post was assuming that you would be buying post pretty much under the same conditions.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
I got the tank and put water in it that I had purified and cleaned and took some water from my 55 and filled the 75 3/4 of the way. And placed both Severums I received. The Banded Severum is doing great, a little bruised from going nuts during the trip in my truck. But the Red Severum is tipping sideways now and breathing a lot slower. It moves occasionally like it's fine but will eventually fall to the bottom of the tank! I never had this happen and I even took the time to get the water ready well before the fish! A quarter of the water is from a cycled tank as well, maybe he's stressed or was damaged on the trip home

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store