Monster sized canister for Monster tank

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
So this is an interesting question i have ponder since i got into the wet life. Can a canister filter be built that is large enough for a monster tank. I know i can get 58 gallon screw top barrels made of hdpe. I would use a reeflo dart/snapper or similar for flow, but for media. Do i just super size my media using foam block and lava rock? Has any one built one of these closed filter systems? I'd love to hear other's stories on their monster canisters as i plan mine. I'll try to draft up some plans on it and post with this.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
someone tried something like this a while back, it ended up the bucket couldn't handle the pressure i think.

Steewen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
Iceland
No reason why that wouldnt work. Pressure inside the bucket should not be a problem, if you use the pump to suck the water out of it. If you pump the water into it, you have a problem.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Someone posted a thread asking this a few weeks ago.

I think the consensus on that thread was that it is doable, but that would be horrible to clean. Cleaning a big canister is bad enough, let alone a 60 gallon canister!

If you want something like this, I'd personally use some sort of a pre filter first which is easy to clean, and then the barrel itself for just bio like k1 so it wouldn't need cleaning!!!

Reactions: Frank Castle

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use 55 gal barrels to filter bout 300gallons, but I don't see the point in closing them off and putting under pressure.
All that does is make maintenance more difficult, there is nothing magical about being under pressure.

during a water change

Reactions: Frank Castle

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Agree with Duanes that there is no point to go with a closed pressurized system. What Duanes illustrated is essentially a sump system in a drum. A closed pressurized system requires stronger fittings to prevent leak and and any leak can turn into a fountain. A closed system is harder to clean and out of sight, out of mind which can lead to negligence and anaerobic septic in power outage. IMO, canister should never be promoted for the hobby.

Reactions: Mr Pleco
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store