HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I would get some turquoise jewel cichlids because my pair are stunning reds yellows blues and more. Jewel cichlids in general are like the aggression of any hemichromis such as the five star generals packed into a couple inches. Mine are fearless and they pursue my hand outside the glass and they bite me through the glass. I hand feed them with my hand completely in the water and they go into my hand completely without fear.

Reactions: Jexnell

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
These pictures don’t do them justice. I’ll have to get some better ones in the day time and on my dslr but these guys are stunning.187D0A57-E5B3-4E33-8786-8D66053680D5.jpeg41B10380-677E-4892-B41F-E3508F0255AB.jpeg8B05E039-DB32-469A-B50C-F2F938DEB8A5.jpeg659D1E70-FC9E-4019-87F0-158CBF8D9B46.jpeg

• Love

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ok so hears the deal, the roomate wants the free tank, I said he could have it if he buys me a 75gal next $ per gallon sale. So until then its mine to use.

Not I am stuck, I have 2 different plans for the now two tanks I get to fill. And I just can't pick. So mind you both of these tanks will be in the living room.

Less is more

Get a group of Amphilophus Lyonsi to grow out for a breeding pair to forever home in the new 125. Use the free tank as a hospital tank and order Casper a new female at the same time from Cota.
The free tank will get bumped to a 75 by the roommate, get one myself and both pairs can have two batches of fry growing out at the same time. One in a 75 one in the parents tank.

More is less

Make the new 125 a Convict paradise!
1M3F HRPs
1M3F Nanolutea
Swordtails
Red Eye Tetra
Centromochlus perugiae “Honeycomb Cat”
Bushy nose pleco

The free tank (upgraded to 75gal by the roommate)

Jewel cichlids tank

1M2F some sort of Hemichromis that Wet Spot has in.
Congo tetras
Synodontis schoutedeni
African Butterfly Fish

Less is more is less permanent fish, two breeding pairs, but lots o fry to sell off to cover food, prime cost so forth.

More is less should work out pretty much like my old 55gal did, everyone stayed busy breeding, raising thier own fry, eating everyone else's fry to really fight and kill of each other. No fry to sell off but two tanks full of all kinds of fish doing their thing. Both tanks would be planted, driftwood, rocks.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Less is more

I would order from COTA 6 of the A. Lyonsi
He also has A. Sagittae in the 6-7in range so get Casper a new wife. Hopeful she would have a better chance defending herself being near or same size as Casper, unlike Goldie that stopped growing at three inches from breeding I believe.

I am really digging the Lysoni, the red ring around eyes, simular coloration as Festae with the red, yellow, black bars, with a flower line and blue spangles to boot. I don't know why these aren't more popular.

Plus another chance for Casper to get a mate. She would hospital in the new free tank then join him in the 125.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
More is less

I would get all these fish from The Wet Spot since it's my LFS.
Both tanks would be planted as some point after I get some real plant lights like Finnex 24/7.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I like the convict paradise idea but since you've already had a similar setup I think you should go for the lyonsi. You seem to have the skill to raise fish up into impressive specimens and like you said they're not very common do it would be interesting to see what you could do with them.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I have a pair of jewels that punk my festae. Seriously, they sneak up on the festae and bite their fins, then dart to safety before the festae can react. For as small as they are, they are absolutely vicious. I can't imagine anything little or nonaggressive surviving for long in a tank with jewels in it. They are nasty just for the sheer sadistic pleasure of it. Man, they're beautiful though.

It wasn't the plan to keep little bitty fish with festae and I certainly don't recommend it, but they were so freaking mean that there was no other tank they could stay in. I figured if any small fish was tough enough to make it with festae it was these little psychopaths. They are smart, tough and bitey. 10 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound box.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Well I found what gets to now live in my empty 125.

So there we have it, one 125 with Casper and the other with the new guy.

So come to find out after closer inspection that free tank from the neighbor was getting some crazing on a couple seems. So I gave it to B BichirKing he has the knowledge and room to fix it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store