My Fish Crew

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Update time:

stocking is pretty much the same in both tanks, except I lost my biggest Denison barb. I think it tweaked out and slammed into something because it went from 100% fine to seemingly having a spinal injury to dead within 2 days. I’ve had it happen before when they were in a 75 gallon, lost one the same way, except I was in the room and could hear it slam into the glass.

I’ve been having issues with my large Severum for about a month now. He had an infected mouth from lip locking and was not eating at all. His mouth looks almost completely healed, but I can still only get him to eat bloodworms. It’s frustrating but at least he’s getting something in him.

02EB2D55-644A-4722-A19F-0C460B8C90A4.jpeg

my red head tapajos are really starting to color up now at the 4-4.5 inch mark. A few have Nuchal humps forming and are starting to get dorsal and anal fin trailers. By far my favorite fish.

The 75 gallon is a mess again, brown algae galore and I’m really struggling keeping the swords and Val alive, which is frustrating. This weekend I’m going to do another revamp and I think I’m going to focus on adding more Anubias and Crypts, because those are doing really well for me. DFF48B73-2856-4D23-B921-04B67CE90502.jpeg

the star of the 75 (Blue Angelfish) is doing great though, besides a little bit of fin nipping

02087B7B-74E1-43D0-B8C8-BD0A930CFF23.jpeg

June is going to be a month of change. I’ve got a new stand ready for the 125, so I need to take down the tank and re set it up over the course of a single day. The layout will be switched around and I may make some stocking changes. The 75 is going to final have its stocking beefed out a bit with more cardinals and rummynose added in, along with some dwarf cichlids.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
2 of my Red Head Tapajos paired up and laid eggs! And I was so excited, until something weird happened.

One of my male Severums started to defend the eggs and pushed the RHT and even the female Severum away from them. I was so confused and kinda frustrated. He "defended", fanned and cleaned them for a solid 2 hours before he must have realized they aren't his and ate them all.......

In his defense, in the 4 years I've had him and his partner, the only eggs ever in the tank have been ones he has been the father of, so having another pair of fish finally lay eggs may have really confused him.

Ugh, I was really hoping I would get to see the RHT try and guard and raise fry. Oh well, I guess there is next time.....

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Better luck next time. Weird that the sev did that.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Once again, The RHT pair laid eggs, and 5 mins after the light was on this morning, the other cichlids all swarmed around and ate all the eggs ?

Looks like they will not be able to succesfully defend the eggs in the current setup. The Severums are too large and they can't stop the other 4 RHT and EBA as well.

Also, new stand for the 125 is finally finished and sitting in the garage. I'm dreading switching over stands but will be taking a day off of work this week and taking care of it. I'll post pics when done.

stillsirpaul

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2021
New Jersey
Good luck with the stand replacement for the 125! May I ask why you are changing out the stand -- looks like the standard petsmart 125 package which I was thinking of getting -- would be curious to hear your review of it.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Look forward to seeing the new tank all set-up, and the re-arranged old one. Hopefully the mated pair (RHT) will continue at it...
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks,

There is no new tank, both old ones are going to be rearranged with some possible stocking shifted around between the two tanks depending on if my 3rd Severum in the 125 survives his currently 2 month long battle with a mouth infection of some sort. His mouth looks significantly better but he is still is not eating so we'll see....

And I hope the Red Head Tapajos continue trying as well! Eggs looked viable both times, but I think they need to start laying eggs in a cave off to the side, not in the middle of the tank lol. If they continue to fail to protect them, In the distance future I'll probably start pulling the eggs and raising them in a spare 10.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Good luck with the stand replacement for the 125! May I ask why you are changing out the stand -- looks like the standard petsmart 125 package which I was thinking of getting -- would be curious to hear your review of it.
The problem with that stand is that its made of particleboard. It's held up well for 2 years, but starting to show significant water damage in one part. I don't feel comfortable continuing to use it any longer than I have to.

Here is some more detail on the damage:

I think the stand works well as a cheap short term option, but I wouldn't trust it lasting a long time and you should be fairly careful with not letting it get wet (which is annoying with an aquarium stand ? ). If you purchase it, I would anticipate replacing the stand in 1-3 years. I actually have always planned on doing exactly that since I bought it, but the timeline changed from being replaced in the near future to ASAP once the water damage started to appear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store