Need advice please

Firenation1254

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
(Originally posted this in another section but didn't get any answers) So I have an empty 36 gallon bow front tank rn and I wanna put a fish in there that I can grow out before transferring it to my 250(I’m in the process of building the 250 because my 225 is currently being used for a salt setup and I don’t want to add any more fish to my 350). I want to keep these fish in my 36 for at least a year so I’m looking for a slow growing fish. I’m really interested in peacock bass and datnoids. Right now the 36 gallon tank is in a main living area so I would prefer the fish have some presence to them, I was thinking if I got 2 dats(or peacocks) around 4-6 inches how long will I have until I can put them in my 36. I’m running a fx6 on my 36(I know it seems like overkill lol but I had it around and decided might as well). If you have any other recommendations for some type of predatory/ large slow-growing fish that can live in a 36 for a year or so lmk(not into cichlids, so no green terrors or oscars or jags, kinda had my “period” with those already. I’m most interested in dats and peacock bass but lmk what y’all think! (Can’t really fit another tank in here so I’m stuck with my 36 and my large tanks so getting a new grow out is not really an option)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Dats are slow growing. Can get up to 8 in in a year and slow after that. Depends on tank size, food, and water changes. Also depends when i get the 250g tank ready.

Reactions: Matteus

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
The bass will outgrow the small tank very very quickly....Get 2" dats....they grow pretty slow until they figure pellets out.

Reactions: Matteus

Firenation1254

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
Dats are slow growing. Can get up to 8 in in a year and slow after that. Depends on tank size, food, and water changes. Also depends when i get the 250g tank ready.
The 250 build is in the works but I won’t be ready for another 7-8 months (most likely). I was planing on getting some 4-6in dats because my lfs has them (indo dats) and I want them to have some size before going into the 250 so they won’t get picked on if I choose to add some larger fish. How large will they get in 7-8 months if they are 4-6inches when I get them.

Firenation1254

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
The bass will outgrow the small tank very very quickly....Get 2" dats....they grow pretty slow until they figure pellets out.
What about 4-6in dats, my lfs has those and I need my fish to have some size before going into the 250 so they won’t get picked on by larger fish. And as for peacocks my lfs has all sort of species but I am most interested in the kelberi, my lfs has some around 6in, I hear these grow slower then the other peacocks and are the smallest out of the bunch, is this true? And if so what is there growth rate?

Nove Sedici

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Netherlands
What about 4-6in dats, my lfs has those and I need my fish to have some size before going into the 250 so they won’t get picked on by larger fish. And as for peacocks my lfs has all sort of species but I am most interested in the kelberi, my lfs has some around 6in, I hear these grow slower then the other peacocks and are the smallest out of the bunch, is this true? And if so what is there growth rate?
I Got my 3 kelberi in May 2018 at 1/1,5 inch (tiny like guppies) The smallest one now reaches 7 inch. The biggest one already is 11 inch (about 30 cm's)

So I am pretty sure they will outgrow your 36 gallon way to fast.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The 250 build is in the works but I won’t be ready for another 7-8 months (most likely). I was planing on getting some 4-6in dats because my lfs has them (indo dats) and I want them to have some size before going into the 250 so they won’t get picked on if I choose to add some larger fish. How large will they get in 7-8 months if they are 4-6inches when I get them.
I’d imagine maybe an 1in or 2in but hard to say with a 39g.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
There’s no way your keeping any peacock in a 36 bow for a year. If they are small you might get a few months out of it but once they hit 5”s it’s going to be time to move them to a 75. For reference they will grow a inch per month for the first year then slow down.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
bass and dats will both outgrow that little 36g in less than 6 months if well cared for.
Get some tetras for your 36g and call it good ;)
x2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store