Need dovii advice

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
D Dovii noob I wouldn't get your hopes down. I think you have a fine chance. I agree on separating the two into separate tanks. At this point, once you do that, the male should sprout. Feed southern delight, massivore delight (best for growth) and then also feed night crawlers and any other good source of protein. I would feed the male twice a day, female once. Also feed the male heavier than the female. Do 25% water changes 3 times a week on the male's tank, once a week on the females. Not only because the male will be creating more waste because he will be being fed more, but also for growth. keep the female at a steady pace, light feeding, just enough to keep her comfortable, but feed the male till he is fat lol. this regime should boost the growth on the male tremendously. Also keep the males tank at around 78-80 and the female more like 76. This is all to keep the female at a steady, healthy growing pace but hopefully to help keep it on the slower side. Once the big tank is ready, be careful. at that point the male will most likely be much larger than the female, i would divide the tank 50/50. add the female to her side, and wait on the male. let the female get comfy on her side for about a week, then add the male. If they act well through the divider, pull it! good luck! hope this helps and post some pics!

Reactions: Frank Castle

Dovii noob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks man I'll give it a shot and I'll try to gets some pics. They hide all the time though

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
a 300 gallon is PLENTY big for a pair of Dovii, a 500 to 600 gallon is quite excessive. I know a very reputable breeder of Umbee and Dovii and keeps his pairs in a 300 gallon. Mike Mann is his name, you can find plenty of his videos on youtube. His might not even be in a 300, they might even be 220s and his fish are extremely healthy, grow like weeds and produce constant spawns. He is sadly getting out of the hobby for some reason though. I'm hoping to buy one of his 300 gallons here soon, just have to keep my fingers crossed that someone backs out of buying one of them.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
D Dovii noob I wouldn't get your hopes down. I think you have a fine chance. I agree on separating the two into separate tanks. At this point, once you do that, the male should sprout. Feed southern delight, massivore delight (best for growth) and then also feed night crawlers and any other good source of protein. I would feed the male twice a day, female once. Also feed the male heavier than the female. Do 25% water changes 3 times a week on the male's tank, once a week on the females. Not only because the male will be creating more waste because he will be being fed more, but also for growth. keep the female at a steady pace, light feeding, just enough to keep her comfortable, but feed the male till he is fat lol. this regime should boost the growth on the male tremendously. Also keep the males tank at around 78-80 and the female more like 76. This is all to keep the female at a steady, healthy growing pace but hopefully to help keep it on the slower side. Once the big tank is ready, be careful. at that point the male will most likely be much larger than the female, i would divide the tank 50/50. add the female to her side, and wait on the male. let the female get comfy on her side for about a week, then add the male. If they act well through the divider, pull it! good luck! hope this helps and post some pics!
I agree w/ everything here except the Water change regime. I would do 50-90% once a week for any cichlid depending on Nitrate and Ammonia readings

Dovii noob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
a 300 gallon is PLENTY big for a pair of Dovii, a 500 to 600 gallon is quite excessive. I know a very reputable breeder of Umbee and Dovii and keeps his pairs in a 300 gallon. Mike Mann is his name, you can find plenty of his videos on youtube. His might not even be in a 300, they might even be 220s and his fish are extremely healthy, grow like weeds and produce constant spawns. He is sadly getting out of the hobby for some reason though. I'm hoping to buy one of his 300 gallons here soon, just have to keep my fingers crossed that someone backs out of buying one of them.
Thanks for the advice man I'd really hate to give up my male I've had him since he was barely an inch long

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I thought taking out more than 50% was a no no
yea, maybe 20 years ago LOL. Nothing is better for ALL living creatures than clean, pure, fresh H2O. I can do a 90% WC right now and nothing but good will come of it. All your natural bacteria lives in the filter media and in your gravel and smaller amounts on the décor. Less than 10% of your total Natural (Beneficial) Bacteria lives in the actual water column itself. Your not taking anything important out when you do a 50-90% WC

Besides, most cichlids are incredibly hardy, resilient and resistant, so while it might not be a great idea for Tetras or sensitive fish, Cichlids will love it. Just add 1TBSP of table salt per 5 gallons immediately if you are worried about them stressing over it. Salt fixes everything lol I do it as soon as I fill the tank back up w/ dechlorinated water (Stress coat is best), dry my hands and plug the filters back in

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store