Need dovii advice

Dovii noob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
yea, maybe 20 years ago LOL. Nothing is better for ALL living creatures than clean, pure, fresh H2O. I can do a 90% WC right now and nothing but good will come of it. All your natural bacteria lives in the filter media and in your gravel and smaller amounts on the décor. Less than 10% of your total Natural (Beneficial) Bacteria lives in the actual water column itself. Your not taking anything important out when you do a 50-90% WC

Besides, most cichlids are incredibly hardy, resilient and resistant, so while it might not be a great idea for Tetras or sensitive fish, Cichlids will love it. Just add 1TBSP of table salt per 5 gallons immediately if you are worried about them stressing over it. Salt fixes everything lol I do it as soon as I fill the tank back up w/ dechlorinated water (Stress coat is best), dry my hands and plug the filters back in
OK cool just making sure still very new to the hobby. My dovii was my first fish I've had him for like 7 months. Another question I have a 40 gallon a with breeding convicts should I leave them in there alone if could I add something time it. Also us the 40 big enough for them?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
OK cool just making sure still very new to the hobby. My dovii was my first fish I've had him for like 7 months. Another question I have a 40 gallon a with breeding convicts should I leave them in there alone if could I add something time it. Also us the 40 big enough for them?
you can put anything you want in with a breeding pair of Convicts, but they will kill it no matter what it is.

Dovii as your FIRST fish????!!!!! You're crazy

Dovii noob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
you can put anything you want in with a breeding pair of Convicts, but they will kill it no matter what it is.

Yea that's pretty much what I figured they are mean little ****s lol. And yes I'm one of those special ppl that was like ooooo a wolf cichlid that sounds cool. A couple weeks later I put 4 sun cats and some cons in with it. 2 days later I had 2 sun cats left and they were tore up. Do I go to my trusty youtube and I'm like omg what did I buy. But I love my dovii he is awesome so I'm reading everything I can and taking steps to keep him properly

Dovii as your FIRST fish????!!!!! You're crazy

Dovii noob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
Yep I've read alot. I'm a fast learner as long as my money can keep up with my brain I'll be able to handle it lol. I'm getting addicted to the hobby there is so many fish that I want but I learned my lesson about buying fish cuz they sound cool lol

Reactions: Frank Castle

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm one of those people that think dovii need 500/600 gallon tanks.
I don't think it is over the top in the slightest.
As has been mentioned in another dovii thread recently,in the wild a male will hold a territory as large as a tennis court.They are predatory cichlids capable of great bursts of speed and are very powerful swimmers.
To keep one of these in a 250/300 gallon tank is unthinkable in my mind let alone a pair.
To me this is just another case of wanting the meanest and the most aggressive looking fish regardless of being prepared for the proper husbandry this species requires.
Are you sure you have a male and a female and not just a big male and a smaller male?
I only ask because you didn't know the right temperature, maintenance or tank size for them,makes me wonder how you can sex them by your own admissions.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm one of those people that think dovii need 500/600 gallon tanks.
I don't think it is over the top in the slightest.
As has been mentioned in another dovii thread recently,in the wild a male will hold a territory as large as a tennis court.They are predatory cichlids capable of great bursts of speed and are very powerful swimmers.
To keep one of these in a 250/300 gallon tank is unthinkable in my mind let alone a pair.
To me this is just another case of wanting the meanest and the most aggressive looking fish regardless of being prepared for the proper husbandry this species requires.
Are you sure you have a male and a female and not just a big male and a smaller male?
I only ask because you didn't know the right temperature, maintenance or tank size for them,makes me wonder how you can sex them by your own admissions.
I was actually going to ask "How do you know they are male and female" but I forgot, thanks for reminding me, Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

Dovii noob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2016
I know things I've read I know what the net says as far as temp maintenance and tank size. Figured I'd get experienced ppls opinions on top of what I've read. And as far as me just getting an aggressive fish I'm afraid I was worse than that I got it cuz the name was cool and I liked the look of the fish as I already said I was clueless at the time. And as far as male and female it's not that hard to tell with dovii and I've had ppls opinions on here from my lfs and from a the guy I bought the female from who is a known fish hobbiest and you tuber. But u can tell me if I'm right or not 20161003_184941.jpg

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store