Need help with choosing new tankmates

BenjiLew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Here is the problem.
I am an American and I live in Israel, in a small town in the Negev desert.

Despite this aquariums are a common hobby in this town and there are 5 pet shops in this small town of 40,000 people.

However the variety of fish available are limited and tend to rarely change with the exception of the few oddballs that are ordered in small quantity.

Generally the most popular choice here are African cichlids, and the most common thing to see. Some south American too.

Cory's are common but not they pretty ones. Just mostly ugly bronze corys.

Ok so I don't really have any monster fish. It's 290 liter, tall half circle tank.

Currently it's a peaceful tank with 6 angels, 2 silver sharks, 2 bronze Cory's and a gourami.

They all get along fine. With the exception of 2 of the angels who just have an attitude problem.

I would like to get some additional fish for my tank, bit most species here are not compatible or wildcards.

Of the fish I have recently seen show up in stores that do not normally appear are:

2 clown knifes
2 freshwater snowflake eels
2 fire eels
Several Iridescent sharks
Sometimes Acras are available too but I am not sure what kind.

Would any of these possibly work in my tank?

If you have any suggestions for fish to keep an eye out for please tell me as well with a picture?

Everyone here speaks Hebrew and most fish go by different names so I have to research and identify on my own, often the store employees do not know the exact species or origin.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Here is the problem.
I am an American and I live in Israel, in a small town in the Negev desert.

Despite this aquariums are a common hobby in this town and there are 5 pet shops in this small town of 40,000 people.

However the variety of fish available are limited and tend to rarely change with the exception of the few oddballs that are ordered in small quantity.

Generally the most popular choice here are African cichlids, and the most common thing to see. Some south American too.

Cory's are common but not they pretty ones. Just mostly ugly bronze corys.

Ok so I don't really have any monster fish. It's 290 liter, tall half circle tank.

Currently it's a peaceful tank with 6 angels, 2 silver sharks, 2 bronze Cory's and a gourami.

They all get along fine. With the exception of 2 of the angels who just have an attitude problem.

I would like to get some additional fish for my tank, bit most species here are not compatible or wildcards.

Of the fish I have recently seen show up in stores that do not normally appear are:

2 clown knifes
2 freshwater snowflake eels
2 fire eels
Several Iridescent sharks
Sometimes Acras are available too but I am not sure what kind.

Would any of these possibly work in my tank?

If you have any suggestions for fish to keep an eye out for please tell me as well with a picture?

Everyone here speaks Hebrew and most fish go by different names so I have to research and identify on my own, often the store employees do not know the exact species or origin.

I personally wouldn't add anything else due to the shape of the aquarium .

BenjiLew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
I plan to move all the fish up to a bigger tank every 1-2 years. Thats why I am not very worried about my tank space.

The angels I have now were the size of a dime when I got them, and now they are about 4 inches across.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I don't know anything about the eels or the sharks but the clown knife and fire eel grow far too large for you to plan on an unknown size upgrade at some undesignated point in the future.

Acaras might work... If the angels are being jerks they might pick on other cichlids, though.

Reactions: tlindsey

BenjiLew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
I don't know anything about the eels or the sharks but the clown knife and fire eel grow far too large for you to plan on an unknown size upgrade at some undesignated point in the future.

Acaras might work... If the angels are being jerks they might pick on other cichlids, though.
Lol.

Well rather than say I plan to, it’s that I do upgrade the tank to go with the fish every every 1-2 years as needed.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Iridescent sharks, fire eels, clown knives, and snowflake eels will require a 180g tank and bigger eventually. They will also eat ur current tankamtes.

Plus a snowflake eel require brackish to full salt parameters.

Stick with the acaras. Safer and manageable. Not sure about cichlids and long term. I believe they are benevolent fish.

BenjiLew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Iridescent sharks, fire eels, clown knives, and snowflake eels will require a 180g tank and bigger eventually. They will also eat ur current tankamtes.

Plus a snowflake eel require brackish to full salt parameters.

Stick with the acaras. Safer and manageable. Not sure about cichlids and long term. I believe they are benevolent fish.
I have already decided to rule out the iridescent sharks, moray and clown knife.

However I am still considering a single fire eel.

I have had one before that did fine in a community tank.
Never showed any agression or anything.

Unfortunately I lost all the fish in that tank due to a week long power outage in a horrible winter blizzatd, And that tank had bigger fish than my current one.

My mother has one with her acras, gouramis and Rams, and he is fine as well. However I put that tank together for her years ago and her fish are huge and old now. They all know each other.

I'm not to worried about my angels because they are very spunky.

However I have some 4-5 inch silver (Bala) sharks, some zebra loaches (I don't know if they are zebra loaches they look different and I can't find any information on them online) of similar size and Cory cats. And these I think may be at some risk, however I have never seen a fire eel with an agressive temperament only gentle ones, I have seen them in community tanks with clown loaches and Cory's but still hesitant about going for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store