New Jardini Arowana Help

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
Hello MFK members, I need some help with my new jardini arowana. I took him home 3 days ago and he is in my 20 gallon long which was my QT tank while im Cycling a 210 to be my first monster tank. He is 6 inches long and seems to be healthy for the most part. However as a QT tank I did not have lightning on it and I just installed one this morning, however almost immediately after I turned on the light he started rubbing his face against the glass. He isnt showing any signs of ich or velvet and I see no growths on his body of any sort. The only abnormality is a few missing scales because according to the store he jumped out of the tank about a week before I bought him. But back to the rubbing, since it started almost at the exact same time as me turning on the lights for the first time, do you guys think it could just have something to do with seeing his reflection? I hope thats all it is and maybe Im just overthinking because I dont want to loose my brand new $200 fish. Would it be a good idea to just treat him with parasite medication for a few days just in case? I just need some opinions and help please. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help :)

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
Yes, agree with Rocksor about turning off the lights. Simplest and cheapest way to test...bothing to lose.

Don't medicate "just in case". There is always a risk when adding medication...medicate it only if you are sure of what it's suffering from.

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
Hello, i have been monitoring him off and on all day, he definitely showed more swimming against the glass when the lights were on, however it really was like for a couple seconds once or twice every hour. Heres some pictures of him, i dont see anything wrong with him but maybe yall can tell me if u do..

DACF8913-07EC-4B2B-B4FA-36378441019D.png

B31D0ECF-4260-4BA3-BE2F-00AA6BD6205B.png

AD21B3B0-AE10-4474-9BA2-E6F0453343DB.png

1FAF56C2-ADFE-48C1-860D-29F0F0E66DC4.png

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
He's not accustomed to you or the environment yet. Observe from far away or take a video of him when you are not in the room, and see if he still acts the same way.

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
He's not accustomed to you or the environment yet. Observe from far away or take a video of him when you are not in the room, and see if he still acts the same way.
while i monitored him i was laying in bed next to the tank i dont think he noticed me, he definitely saw me when i was taking a video though

AquaDERP

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Scleropages are very sensitive to any light sources, from my own experience.

Building up a Scleropages community only a little bit brighter/ dimmer light, duration or even position of the light effect in many behaviors.

Extra suggestion : LED submergable light around surface level will calm them more when 5 inches+ if no bigger tankmate ( I never try keeping fish alone in a tank)

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
Scleropages are very sensitive to any light sources, from my own experience.

Building up a Scleropages community only a little bit brighter/ dimmer light, duration or even position of the light effect in many behaviors.

Extra suggestion : LED submergable light around surface level will calm them more when 5 inches+ if no bigger tankmate ( I never try keeping fish alone in a tank)
yeah not even just rubbing against the glass, he tends to hide on the darkest side when the light is on.. i really think thats all it is he really doesnt like the lighting.

AquaDERP

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
If he loves darkness, I suggest black Trashbag full cover the tank. You'll get rich brown Jard.

But if you want to easily see him sideview daily, you could start open up the lower part of trashbag a bit each day to let him adapt to the surface over time.

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
If he loves darkness, I suggest black Trashbag full cover the tank. You'll get rich brown Jard.

But if you want to easily see him sideview daily, you could start open up the lower part of trashbag a bit each day to let him adapt to the surface over time.

View attachment 1378119
thank you for ur help :) but may i ask.. is that a goldfish with your jardini?

Reactions: AquaDERP
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store