Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
SOUTH AMERICAN TANK
1 x Oscar
2 x guianacara gaeyi
4 x Silver Dollars
2 (3) x Pimelouds Maculatus
Be too much for a 120 gallon dual overflew, with a trigger 36 sump?

BTW need recommendations for cool natural substrate, plants, and rocks

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Personally I think you could chose better suited species for that foot print of tank.
I don't think silver dollars are truly comfortable in groups under 6 individuals. I also think by their active and jumpy nature they need a tank of at least 6 feet to act calm and normal.
I will probably get jumped on here but I also believe an adult Oscar needs a min 180.
I would look at slightly smaller cichlids like some of the various acaras that won't surpass 10 inches.
I would have smaller shoalers like BA tetras or bleeding hearts but in larger numbers. I think the fish would look a little more to scale with their tank and would have more freedom in their home

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Personally I think you could chose better suited species for that foot print of tank.
I don't think silver dollars are truly comfortable in groups under 6 individuals. I also think by their active and jumpy nature they need a tank of at least 6 feet to act calm and normal.
I will probably get jumped on here but I also believe an adult Oscar needs a min 180.
I would look at slightly smaller cichlids like some of the various acaras that won't surpass 10 inches.
I would have smaller shoalers like BA tetras or bleeding hearts but in larger numbers. I think the fish would look a little more to scale with their tank and would have more freedom in their home
Actually agree with you here

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
So what footprint is the tank? You say a 120, those are normally 4ftx2ftx2ft. That is not a good footprint for an Oscar tank nor for Silver Dollars.

Now if you have a 6ftx18inx20in 125gallon that's a different story.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
A 120 is by all means realistic for an oscar. Just stay up on waterchanges and lose the silver dollars.

So what footprint is the tank? You say a 120, those are normally 4ftx2ftx2ft. That is not a good footprint for an Oscar tank nor for Silver Dollars.

For a fish that averages what 13"? And is solid like an oscar, to say that your 125 with a depth of 18" is a different story then a tank that is 6" deeper footprint, sure maybe for the tetras beeing that they are an active schooling fish.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A 120 is by all means realistic for an oscar. Just stay up on waterchanges and lose the silver dollars.

For a fish that averages what 13"? And is solid like an oscar, to say that your 125 with a depth of 18" is a different story then a tank that is 6" deeper footprint, sure maybe for the tetras beeing that they are an active schooling fish.

I say this due to the complete and total change in my Oscars activity levels when I moved her from a 4ft tank to a 6ft one.

In the 4ft tank she basically just stayed in her one spot most if the time. Now since I moved her to a 6ft tank she is a lot more active swimming back and forth what not as compared to the 4ft tank.

To each his own I guess....

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Posted in your other thread but I will add this: I kept an Oscar in a 90 gallon for years, and I believe it was adequate. 125 would be better, but I think that 90 or 120 is just fine. 55 is definitely too small, the 18" width 4' tanks are absolute minimum IMO.

I think your stock list would be do-able in the 120 with proper maintenance, but if you felt it was too much, by all means take some fish off. Lighter stocked is generally better. If you were to replace the Oscar you could add more of a smaller species like stanzz suggested, which might make for a more active, interesting tank.

Reactions: Kingster

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018

I belive it is actually in the middle, 5' by 18 or 19 " by26 high lol, dual overflow with 36gal sump

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
Posted in your other thread but I will add this: I kept an Oscar in a 90 gallon for years, and I believe it was adequate. 125 would be better, but I think that 90 or 120 is just fine. 55 is definitely too small, the 18" width 4' tanks are absolute minimum IMO.

I think your stock list would be do-able in the 120 with proper maintenance, but if you felt it was too much, by all means take some fish off. Lighter stocked is generally better. If you were to replace the Oscar you could add more of a smaller species like stanzz suggested, which might make for a more active, interesting tank.
First of all Thanks for the support
I want to keep the oscar and all these other fish out of the need for south American diversity, One Big fish - Oscar
Large schooling fish - Silvers (Please suggest any other south American schooling fish to go with oscars, thanks)
Colorful fish - guianacara gaeyi
Scavenging + Catfish - Pimelouds Maculatus

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
A 60 by 18 inch footprint Imo is just about OK for an oscar but not for the silvers, large schooling fish need big tanks, I think it has already been suggested to you that 3 or 4 pink tail chalceus would be better. While I agree the tank is just about large enough for the oscar I would strongly advise that it should be the only cichlid in there.

Reactions: RocketGarStar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store