Oscars breed unintentionally

reapertheoscar

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Okay let me give you a background, I bought 2 albino oscars before Christmas, I got 2 for the price of one, there about 8 to 10 inches long, I noticed they moved gravel and they were vibrating there tails so I thought they were going to breed but I've never had this happen before so it was a guess and this morning I came down and there was eggs laid and the 2 were fanning them, so my questions
Do they hatch on the first batch?
If there white are they unfertilized?
Does egg laying make your tank smell?
And how often will they spawn now?

20170528_132337.jpg

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Sorry to say that they aren't fertile. Either you have two females or the male of the two failed to fertilize them. You could try waiting to see if they spawn again to discern which is the answer. Remove the pot, clean it up, and then place it back and just wait to see.

reapertheoscar

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
I'm hoping there not 2 females we'll just have to wait and see the one is bigger then the other idk if that matters in sexing them or not, I'm not new to oscars but I am new to them breeding, the one I think is a female looks beat up a bit and won't eat food and won't leave the eggs but the one I think is the male eats so idk if that has anything to do with sex

reapertheoscar

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
I also read that it takes 24 hours for the eggs to turn tan after fertilization is that true?

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I've never heard of that before. Maybe you should give it a day or two to really see what happens before changing anything.

reapertheoscar

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
I'm going to let things go for a day or 2 and see what happens if they don't hatch how long does it take for them to lay more

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
That really depends on them. It could be anywhere from the next day up to even a month after the first one.

pops pops should be able to help more with this.

reapertheoscar

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
I'm really curious to see if there both females and I got excited for no reason, I thought about getting a camera of sorts so if they lay eggs and I'm not there I can see it, because as of this morning at 2 am there was nothing but 2 pm there was

Reactions: tlindsey

reapertheoscar

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
How long will there sexual organs be out to tell sex?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store