Peacock Bass Possibly Having Seizures??

Redbellypiranha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
Colorado
I have a couple 5" or so peacock bass (a couple Azuls and a couple Monos) the past couple days one of my monos seems like he is having severe seizures, and then suddenly goes back to semi-normal behavior - looks slightly flushed and hides in driftwood which isn't exactly typical for him. He also ate today as well but a not too much longer after this video was shot.

What could be wrong with him?

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
I know nothing about peacock bass,but have seen this in other fish. I think you just bought unhealthy specimens from the pet store. Sadly, I have done so as well

GoldfishForPresident

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2017
I once had a goldfish that was about 12 years old develop what I believe was a brain tumor, as his head was semi-translucent enough to make out some sort of internal growth. He exhibited "seizure-like" episodes very similar to your video, where he would lose ability to regulate buoyancy for short periods of time, several times in a row, and then return to near normal. He lived like this for several months, although after one bout of seizures he stopped eating normally. He would still eat, but he almost had to push around in the sand and stumble across pellets; he also stopped swimming in open water stayed near either the sand or decor. I think he developed some sort of vision loss, and was navigating by lateral line or something like that. One night, he suffered what was clearly some neurological electrical storm and basically seizured to death.

I'm sorry not to deliver better news, but I'd have to agree that your fish's issues look similar to my experience, and it appears neurological. Could your bass maybe have hit his head? Some sort of internal trauma? Best wishes that he may recover!

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Have you tested your water for stray voltage with a volt meter? You would be suprised what you might find. Stray voltage could make your fish dart across the tank and bounce off the wall causing some damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store