• Other (post who)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I was debating, like many of you between the aimara, arapima and the alligator gar. I went with the gar mainly because (considering they are all 4’+) it’s almost like an arapima with teeth.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
On that list Pound for pound black rhom all day long tho.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
With all do respect I’d have to disagree with you on that one. Aimaras are ruthless.
I have an aimara now and kept piranha for 17 years plus seen multiple massive 17-18in rhoms. Because of the shape difference it’s hard to compare. A 17in rhom is more intimidating than a 17in aimara due to the height. Probably closer to a 24-27in aimara. From there though, obviously aimara get huge.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's what I mean lb for lb... Length for length rhom every time.
Max size obviously Aimara.

CristianV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
So throughout reading this thread, the top contenders are the Arapima, Alligator Gar, and Aimara.

From these, I feel the aimara (at full size of course) would be the only offensive fish. While the Gar and Arapima are larger and better equipped for defensive purposes, wouldn’t pose an offensive threat. Despite the gars teeth, it’s rather docile behavior would make it less of threat. Along the same lines with the Arapima. There’s not much offense besides a headbut.

This is where the Aimara comes in. With one of the nastiest business ends and the equivalent caliber of an attitude. The aimara is my pick.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So throughout reading this thread, the top contenders are the Arapima, Alligator Gar, and Aimara.

From these, I feel the aimara (at full size of course) would be the only offensive fish. While the Gar and Arapima are larger and better equipped for defensive purposes, wouldn’t pose an offensive threat. Despite the gars teeth, it’s rather docile behavior would make it less of threat. Along the same lines with the Arapima. There’s not much offense besides a headbut.

This is where the Aimara comes in. With one of the nastiest business ends and the equivalent caliber of an attitude. The aimara is my pick.
I would definitely bet on a glyphis above a aimara, I mean while not a ton is known on glyphis it would definitely out class an aimara, I mean it's a freaking freshwater shark!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What fish in that list cannot be kept with other fish?
Only rhom, one well placed apple sized bite from an 18" rhom or even worse 20"+ manuelli and it's game over for the others.
Even a large Aimara.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
You can communicate all the others.
Only contender is aba ABA and electric eel... Maybe massive fahaka.

A huge catfish could eat most in one bite except the eel...

I think electric eel is pretty much untouchable like Moe said.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What fish in that list cannot be kept with other fish?
Only rhom, one well placed apple sized bite from an 18" rhom or even worse 20"+ manuelli and it's game over for the others.
Even a large Aimara.
One well placed bite from the aimara will do the same. One well placed bite from a rhom I doubt will kill a large aimara. Take a chunk out sure. But nothing the aimara can't heal from.

Arapima is like a carnivorous manatee with scales lol. Gator gar can have an attitude. Look at vinces, his killed a wyckii and was the aggressor I believe. But that's a catfish without scales. Gator gars mouths aren't designed for power

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store