Please help.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Hard to tell but it sounds like convict action.
Don’t think it’s the convict. 90 gallons with a 2 year old Oscar, pleco and convict is going to put a lot on the tank and would probably be best with only the Oscar to give it good swimming space. When I hear gasping I always think of oxygen levels in the tank being low as this has happened to me several times.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
No
No shops have test kits here.
You may order one online, if you think your cycle is off and if you are from India you could order aquatic remedies
Microlife s2 for cycle.
BTW do you have substrate at the bottom? Could be that something is wrong with the substrate.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
You may order one online, if you think your cycle is off and if you are from India you could order aquatic remedies
Microlife s2 for cycle.
BTW do you have substrate at the bottom? Could be that something is wrong with the substrate.
If substrate is too deep than cant gasses get trapped under it if the tank has live plants? Also too deep substrate can cause the tank to be anaerobic

Reactions: ..puSkar..

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
How come you cannot test water? I feel its very important to have params in order to assess this situation
Very true but test kits are very hard to come by in India ( op seems to be Indian) and the ones we get from api are too costly as they are imported. In fact for the price of the test kit here you could get 4 Oscars of 4-6" Each.
And almost 90% + fishkeepers don't have a test kit ( including myself)

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Very true but test kits are very hard to come by in India ( op seems to be Indian) and the ones we get from api are too costly as they are imported. In fact for the price of the test kit here you could get 4 Oscars of 4-6" Each.
And almost 90% + fishkeepers don't have a test kit ( including myself)
That’s strange. Never thought a test kit would be that scarce over there. I mean I only use test strips but plan on getting another type of kit soon but still not sure what to get

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
If substrate is too deep than cant gasses get trapped under it if the tank has live plants? Also too deep substrate can cause the tank to be anaerobic
Yes . don't think the tank has plants but it could be the substrate that could have got disturbed when he added the convict and the Oscar trying to chase it .

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yes . don't think the tank has plants but it could be the substrate that could have got disturbed when he added the convict and the Oscar trying to chase it .
Tank could have too deep substrate and be anaerobic. It’s happened to me once or twice when I was overstocked with all the catfish and cichlids. Not a fun thing to deal with.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
That’s strange. Never thought a test kit would be that scarce over there. I mean I only use test strips but plan on getting another type of kit soon but still not sure what to get
It's geeting better there are some fish related companies popping up they've started with food and maybe they'll bring test kits too. We do get Chinese alternatives but they're not reliable and they too got scarce due to the covid situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store