Please help.

Vivekcichlids

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
I have a 5feet long 90 gallon tank. I've had an Oscar in it for almost 2 years. He was really healthy and grew big from a very small size. But recently I lost him all of a sudden. He was gasping and died. I do the water changes weekly 40-50% always and it has worked for me really well. I brought another Oscar after him and he died too. Then another he too died. And it seems my pleco and a small convict cichlid are completely fine and healthy but my Oscars can't live. I changed water. 50% in the morning and then again 50% in the evening just assuming it could be ammonia problem ( as I don't have access to a test kit here) but nothing worked.
I have a 2.5 feet long sump as filter, a bubbler and one internal filter too.

I am so stressed and disappointed. I've been keeping fishes for almost 20 years now. Never had this issue. I feel like I can never keep Oscar again. I'm so frustrated. Please help.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Test your ammonia, PH, and nitrites in the tank and your tap water. Test tap water ph after 24 hours in a cup. You need a liquid test kit

another possibility is the convict stressing out the oscars to death while you are not looking

how big is the convict

Reactions: tlindsey

Vivekcichlids

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
No. Convict is small and my first Oscar which died was 10 inches. I don't have an access to a test kit here. My other tank has Severums in it. Very healthy. But this tank seems to have a problem. Do you think my cycle is broken?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
No. Convict is small and my first Oscar which died was 10 inches. I don't have an access to a test kit here. My other tank has Severums in it. Very healthy. But this tank seems to have a problem. Do you think my cycle is broken?
On the fish that died was there any teared fins, red fins, or anything that shouldn’t be on the fish?

Reactions: tlindsey

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
How come you cannot test water? I feel its very important to have params in order to assess this situation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store