Pros & cons on buying juvenile pr adult jardini arowana?

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
What are the pros and cons on buying jardini arowana? Also is it better to buy it from a private seller / someone who is not a Fish Store/LFS. Thank you

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Some of the healthiest fish you can buy comes from private sellers. They're like you and me...fishes in a home aquarium are usually better cared for than your lfs.

With juveniles, you get to raise them and watch them grow and they're cheaper. They can be vulnerable to being picked on if kept with other fish...may lead to permenant damage like missing barbs (probably one of the more important features).

Adults just speak for themselves. They look awesome. Can cost more. May not tolerate tank mates.

Reactions: Steven Williams

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
Some of the healthiest fish you can buy comes from private sellers. They're like you and me...fishes in a home aquarium are usually better cared for than your lfs.

With juveniles, you get to raise them and watch them grow and they're cheaper. They can be vulnerable to being picked on if kept with other fish...may lead to permenant damage like missing barbs (probably one of the more important features).

Adults just speak for themselves. They look awesome. Can cost more. May not tolerate tank mates.
Thanks, do you someone who sells jardini locally?

Reactions: cuervochan

cuervochan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
WC
Ty is right on all accounts (BTW, how are the Oscars I gave your son doing, Ty?). The only thing I'd like to ad to what he said is, baby or small juvenile aros, like any small fish, are more delicate at that size so a bigger aro is less likely to go belly up on you. I might have something you'd be interested in.

Reactions: fisheatfish

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Ty is right on all accounts (BTW, how are the Oscars I gave your son doing, Ty?). The only thing I'd like to ad to what he said is, baby or small juvenile aros, like any small fish, are more delicate at that size so a bigger aro is less likely to go belly up on you. I might have something you'd be interested in.
Hi cuervochan...oscars are doing great. They're actually with my friend now. They eat so much and growing really fast. They were picking on my son's other fishes so he asked me to move them. Thanks again...great learning experience for him. Instead of just the 2 oscars, he wanted to keep more fishes in his tank.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Thanks, do you someone who sells jardini locally?
LFS near me in Anaheim has some 6 inchers going for about $140 if I remember correctly. I sold full grown ones for less. If you have to have one "now," The Reef in Anaheim has a few.

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
What do you have that might interest me?

kim91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2016
Santa Ana
LFS near me in Anaheim has some 6 inchers going for about $140 if I remember correctly. I sold full grown ones for less. If you have to have one "now," The Reef in Anaheim has a few.
I just got one today from a guy at westminster, He had it for 3 yrs and i think it's too small for that time he had it.. And i got it for $130. Here's the link for the video

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Looks like a good buy nice healthy jardini you've got yourself there.
There are pro's and cons for buying private or lfs
Buying private usually means the fish is already feeding and in healthy conditions , it also means any nasty diseases /deformities it could have from the wild or born with have already become apparent that this stage.
Private sellers give fairer prices too if there realistic about the value of the fish.
Shop bought jars are generally juvenile and small which is great if you want to grow one out to get it tame to yourself, but like I've said above that comes with problems.
Some shops will give you a guarantee with fish as long as your water p's are in check and it's of no fault of your own , where as private bought you'd be lucky.
Anyway it seems you made a good choice looking forward to updates on its progression.
Welcome to the jarmy army ;) lol

Reactions: kim91
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store